cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Set up for TV via Mini Connector

I Have recently had my BT Smart hub installed and my internet is fine. I am shortly to have BT TV installed via Mini Connectors. The power supply for the Smart Hub is from a spur on a circuit for my house alarm - not the home conventional ring main, although the alarm does go through the same main fuse consumer unit as the ring main.  Will the Mini Connectors work - not being on the house ring main? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Set up for TV via Mini Connector

They should work provided that the supply to the alarm spur is just a normal spur, and does not have a mains filter in the circuit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your prompt response, I'm not familiar with a "mains filter" I assume its some kind of bolt on to my consumer unit? The unit is relatively new and I have no such bolt on box so I guess I'm ok? I just assumed that the Mini Connectors used the earth "curcuit " to communicate with one another. Obviously the alarm is fully earthed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Keith, sorry I should have mentioned that the alarm has a separate circuit breaker switch in the consumer unit - I think it is on a 5amp suppy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Its unlikely a mains filter is fitted unless the alarm is being affected by electrical interference.

Communication between the adapters is over the live and neutral wires, but the earth connection does play a part in maintaining the signal balance, although I have used similar adapters on circuits without an earth connection, and they have worked just fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@CliveRW1 wrote:

Keith, sorry I should have mentioned that the alarm has a separate circuit breaker switch in the consumer unit - I think it is on a 5amp suppy.

A conventional circuit breaker, as fitted in a consumer unit, would not present any problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Keith, I wanted to avoid running ethernet wires around the house so these Mini Connecrors seem just the thing, I'll get on and try it over the week end. Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

The only issue might be if the consumer unit is a split load one & the 2 circuits needing to talk to each other are on different segments. That was my situation when I fitted a new unit so I had to move one of the rings so both were on the same segmant.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks,  we do have 2 rings for sockets in the house and the alarm is on a separate fuse in the consumer unit, looks like i'm just going to try it and see. Thanks guys for your responses.

0 Ratings