cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Set up on laptop via Mini Connectors BT Network.

Which is the recommended option to choose for when first setting up a broadband connection to a personal home laptop or computer on say Windows 7 via BT Home hub and using BT Mini Connectors to use the BB and or BTs WiFi connection?

The option message pops up on main window screen asking whether it's a coffee shop or restaurant connection or one that you trust.

I normally go for public as I thought it to be more secure than the rest.

Any recommendations please?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Set up on laptop via Mini Connectors BT Network.

In order to be able to sign in with a BT account and use the BT Home group features do I need to use Private Network instead of a Public Network?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

If you want to be able to access other devices on your network, like a printer, you need to configure the connection as Private, not public.

You may have problems accessing the home hub manager if you set it up as public.

The only time you would use Public, would be if you were connecting to a public wireless network in a coffee shop, or other public network.

0 Ratings
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

That would make sense as it would not let me connect to the BT server when attempting to login to MYBT account.

I'll try changing it to Public.

Just another thing, is there any difference between the BT Mini Connectors and the BT Broadband extenders 600 apart from the latter not having the plug socket?
Finally is it different regarding what you were saying about the private network when using WiFi at home?
0 Ratings
sea2dog
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

By having it set to Home Network instead of Public can anyone else view my files etc?

And importantly do I require to set up an Admin password?
0 Ratings