cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Limeydog
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Setting up LAN game (MineCraft/macs/BTHub6)

Go to solution
Help... please. I’m sure someone out there must be able to give hand-holding steps to do this. Searched high and low for answers.

• game: MineCraft
• want to have 2 macs play together via LAN
• both computers are at the same address IP
• get error message that reads to the effect: Failed to connect to server... ...connection timed out

From all the research I have done it sounds like it relates to port forwarding and/or a permission enabled on the online control panel for the hub (BTHub6-7TH7).

I am not very tech savvy. If you solved this yourself, I would be so grateful, more over, my kids would be.

Many thanks for reading.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Setting up LAN game (MineCraft/macs/BTHub6)

Go to solution

Where is the Minecraft server - on your network?  Is one of the Macs acting as a server?  Nothing to do with port forwarding or your Hub if everything is running on your LAN.  Are your Mac firewalls disabled?  (Check the firewall in Security under System Preferences).

0 Ratings
Limeydog
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Hi Heather, thanks for replying. The server is hosted by one computer for the other to join. I tried Firewall off (on both CPUs), and retried again just now, doesn’t connect.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Nothing to do with port forwarding, that is onlyrequired for external servers.

Both computers can't both have the same IP address, are you looking at the public IP address of your hub or their local private LAN addresses, they will be in the range 192.168.1.xxx

0 Ratings
Limeydog
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Licquorice and thanks.

I have tried both LAN numbers both the Hub one (which the two computers share) and the IPv4 (which is unique to that computer). Neither were successful.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

You need to use the IP address of the Mac running the server (e.g. 192.168.1.64) - don't use the Hub address.  Is the server definitely running - there should be a terminal window on the Mac with the output from the Minecraft server - can you see this?  Does it show any connection attempts?  Are you using the default port for the server or has this been changed - it should be 25565 - look in the server config file.  Also make sure the config file allows all users to connect.

0 Ratings
Limeydog
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Heather.

The server is definetly running on the host computer, and yes that's the LAN number we have used predominatley used, the host computer's IPv4, the rest were in desperstion. Terminal windows doesnt sound very Mac. I know they can be opened but they don't open by default so no I can't see this, nor would I expect to. When you launch the game/server on the host mac, it puts up on screen a port number in game. At the moment I am not doing anything with this number nor do I know how to. This number isn't 22565. It varies when you launch the server. AN example of this numbe ris 52954 "Local game hosted on port 52954"

I didn't quite understand your last point. With in the application (Minecraft) you click open LAN which to my understanding allows that computer to be accessed by the other computer. I am not sure what else would need to be configured.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

OK it sounds like you aren't running a dedicated Minecraft server but sharing the world on one of the Macs - so you just need to note the port number when you start sharing the world and then you append this to the IP address.  So if you share the game on Mac with IP address 192.168.1.64 and port 52954 you just enter 192.168.1.64:52954 as the Minecraft server address on the other Mac and it should join the game.

Limeydog
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you so much brookheather. This solved the problem/challenge. Thank you for persevering with this. What might seem obvious to some and those in the know, is another language to others, including me. I didn’t find the answer from Googling for a few hours, the app doesn’t give instructions or support. You solved it though. My little girl is made up and says thank you!!
0 Ratings