cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 45

Setting up a Smart Hub 2 as an Access Point

Go to solution

Hi 

I have my main router in the house with a Cat 6 cable feeding another building every thing works fine on the computers in the second building But I would like to set up a 2nd Smart Hub 2 as an Access point for WIFI in that building but there seems to be a lot of confusing information when I have searched the forum.

So would somebody be able to explain to a beginner what I need to do  

I have worked out that I need to plug the router I want to change the details on into my laptop and I have gained access in to the hub manager

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45

Re: Setting up a Smart Hub 2 as an Access Point

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 45

Go to solution

It's extremely straightforward, just give the second hub an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the main hub, turn off DHCP on the second hub and connect the 2 LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 45

Go to solution

Thank You  rbz5416

For a detailed explanation in how to do it was very helpful a straight forward step by step set of instructions ideal for a beginner. All up and working seems fine can still use the hard wired computers in this building speed the same as before. Have managed to connect my phone to the WIFI and all seems ok.

One suggestion that you could add into the instruction's would be that you either need to print the instruction out or use a different computer to set the access hub up, because when connecting the hub to the computer that was on the internet via the main hub you could not edit the access router at the same time .

One more question is it possible to switch off the flashing light on the router ??

I rate this as 5 star

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 45

Go to solution

Not my thread, I just linked to it. Credit goes to @Jayebmx but you're free to add your points to the thread.

I don't know the SH2 but looks like the a panel for light control on the home page. Otherwise it's a tape job.

rbz5416_0-1674397464763.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 45

Go to solution
So you can still the use the ethernet ports in the 2nd router as well as wifi now yes?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 45

Go to solution

Of course.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 45

Go to solution
Will any wireless router (with AP mode) work taking broadband from the main BT hub? BT hubs are much more expensive than say a decent TP Link router... I too have a garden room and will be running a cat6 up to it from the BT Hub in the house. I will be connecting a 2nd Hive Home Hub (which is ethernet only) probably a laptop on ethernet too and then 2-3 more devices via WIFI in my Garden Room.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 45

Go to solution

If you want an access point, buy an access point with Ethernet ports rather than a router. The only reason to use a router is if you have a spare one lying around to re-purpose.

Any manufacturer access point or router can be used.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 45

Go to solution

It might be cheaper to buy a single Ethernet port WAP and a separate Ethernet switch rather than a multi Ethernet port WAP.

0 Ratings