Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnorris235
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Sharing my broadband

Go to solution

6 feet away is a barn we converted into two flats that we rent out. Now that we have fibre I could share the connection with them. I am aware of the issues of security, but would BT have a problem if I did this? The flats do not have a phone line.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Sharing my broadband

Go to solution
It is up to you just your security that is at risk also unwise unless you are on an unlimited package
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

BT would not worry, but you would be responsible for any misuse of the WiFi, and the possibility that they could access your own private network.

You could buy a router which has its own private WiFi network, but you would still be responsible for misuse.

I would strongly advise against sharing your connection. It would be best to let any tenants arrange their own phone and broadband connection in their own name.

Many may just choose to use their mobiles anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
You could do it without BT being made aware.

You would however be responsible for everything that is done on the Internet through your connection.

If you do want to share a wireless connection, if it will reach, you could buy a third party VDSL modem router that has a "guest network" and use that. It would prevent your tennants from getting onto your private network.

If wireless won't reach you have a different set of problems to overcome.
0 Ratings
jnorris235
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I appreciate your responses, thank you. Very close so an ethernet cable will do it, and we're on unlimited fibre. A guest network should solve problems with a router in each flat. Was more concerned with BT, as to whether it would transgress any T&Cs. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I don't think you understand what you need to do. You can only have one router connected to your Broadband connection.

You can not have a router in each flat. If you are connecting to your router by Ethernet what you would need in each flat is a wireless access point. 

Your home router would need to be able to be configured to give you a guest network. You would then run your Ethernet cable from that to your flats where it would plug into your wireless access point and your tenants would connect by wireless to the access point. This would have them on the guest network which would be separate from your private home network. 

0 Ratings