cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TboneAFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Shifting the BT master socket - what's involved?

Hi

Today I called BT to arrange for an engineer to come to shift the master socket to somewhere that actually makes sense at home.

Currently it is - ingeniously (not) - located by the front door in my flat. I want to have it shifted or a new one installed behind the TV, router, YouView box etc. in the living room.

The lady on the phone who booked the engineer to come in a couple of weeks' time didn't know what is involved when I asked her. Does any one know what the engineer will try to do when he comes?

Will he simply use an extension wire from the current socket by the front door and run it around all the skirting (ugly, ugly visible wires!) or will he just somehow be able to install a new socket in the living room behind the TV etc?? If it's the former why should I pay £130 for something that I could do myself by buying a £10 telephone extension cable from Argos?!

Thanks 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Shifting the BT master socket - what's involved?

If you don't have an extension socket behind the tv at present the I expect the engineer will just run cable round skirting board and doors to get to where you want it and then charge £129.99

if there is a socket there then engineer will just rewire inoming openreach wiring making extension the new master and vice versa

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TboneAFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks. I also forgot to mention that there is an old BT socket in the living room but on the opposite wall from where I'd like it. When BT came earlier this week to activate my new phone line and broadband they told me that the old socket in the living room has been cut off or something. Could the engineer scheduled to come in a couple of weeks somehow 'reactivate' that socket? That way I wouldn't need so much cabling along the skirting etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Without knowing the EXACT details of where you want sockets and where existing sockets are located and what wiring exists and where it enters your premises, nobody here can tell you much.

0 Ratings
TboneAFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Can I attach photos here? On mobile at the moment.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

If your current line is delivered overhead from a pole, they may ( if it makes sense ) run a new overhead cable to nearer where you want the master socket , but once  the cable enters the property , any cable run inside would be surface wired ( on skirting boards etc) 

If the existing service is delivered underground or the overhead cable is already in the most suitable location, then chances are a cable would be surface ran , from the old socket location to the new location, and if the new location was to be the master , then the old socket just blanked off.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 7 of 7

@TboneAFC

From a Laptop/PC you can.  But not via a mobile. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings