Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karlos14
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Should I downgrade to Infinity 1?

I have had Infinity 2 for over 1 year and only just realised -

I'm getting 40 down & 18 up on all IOS wireless devices (iPad & iPhone). When I plug my laptop in via Ethernet, I get 70 down & 18 up.

I never use my laptop with Ethernet as all my use is via wireless devices. Can my iOS devices ever get >40 down or should I just downgrade to Infinity 1 and save some money. I'd rather change something to get the faster speed though! I re signed only 1 month ago so I am still within the 3 month time to get it sorted (if the problem lies outside my control).

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Should I downgrade to Infinity 1?

Where does this 3 month figure come from?  Unless you've been told otherwise by BT, the moment your new service starts, you're locked in for the duration of the contract .  There are heavy exit fees if you want to cancel or downgrade early.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Apple devices seem to have a problem with the dual frequencies having the same SSid.

Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the connection on your devices and then restart them and log onto both. 

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

Also make sure you have turned off "Smart Set Up" on the Homehub. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
Karlos14
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Sorry, I should have said I'm using the HH3 transmitter. I have a HH3 installed so will I be able to change all those settings? I know the HH3 doesn't have the smart set up option. This was one thing I googled at first. I will now have a look at the freq's tho, thanks.

The 3 month period was quoted to me when I took out my 2nd contract with BT. It was a time limit that I had, to get in touch with tech help if my speed was not up to what I was expecting as per BT's reasonable speed.

I'm not complaining about getting 40mb, as I know other people here struggle to get 10% of that. What I'm asking is that if my iPad and iPhone can only get 40mb max, then I'll just downgrade. But if the transmitter needs upgrading to hh5 or if there's any fixes, then I'll stick with it.

Kind regards
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

The HH3 wifi only runs on 2.4GHz, it doesn't do 5GHz.

You can set it to 40MHz double channel though, to improve bandwidth.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Karlos14
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Just tried the 40MHz change, then rebooted everything. No change, but thanks for the advice.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Here's a speedtest I just did on my iPhone on 5GHz on my HH5

IMG_2027.PNG

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings