cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreaferns120472
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Sky q and PlayStation

I have recently had Sky Q installed.  However since this installation my sons PlayStation has become very slow when he is playing online.  The PlayStation is connected by a cable directly to BT Hub.  (BT have also recently sent me a new Hub)

I have spoken to Sky and they say I need to speak to BT as you are the broadband provider.  Sky suggested I ask you about a gaming profile for example the download and upload of online gaming?  I have no idea what this means.

They suggested changing configuration/profile of router to match online gaming.  I think the PlayStation needs a better upload speed.

However I do not want this to interfere with download speeds of Sky Movies and programs!

Since having Sky Q installed (we have 1 main sky q box and 2 mini boxes, with a Sky Booster) Not only has the PlayStation become very slow, the 2 Sky mini boxes kept loosing the connection.  So I had a Sky engineer visit the property again and they have hard wired the main sky q box and one of the mini boxes.  They could not hard wire the 2nd mini box as we needed a NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS105UK) which I now have and Sky are returning at the beginning of August to hardwire the 2ndSky Q mini Box.

However this does not solve the problem of PlayStation online gaming either being very slow and quite often not working at all. 

We also have 3 BT Wholehome discs and BT Fibre!

This really should not be happening and Sky are trying to get me to change our broadband from BT to Sky!

However before I do this I would like to know if BT can offer any suggestions??

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sky q and PlayStation

Hi @andreaferns120472, thanks for posting, BT don't offer a broadband service specifically for gaming profile however I would recommend that you set up a port forwarding rule for the Playstation within he Hub manager as this might help.

What broadband speeds are you getting?  

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@andreaferns120472 

Just out of curiousity do you have BT sport & a Youview box which is alongside the Q Box & through a switch?

Also what speeds do you get on your fibre broadband.

0 Ratings
andreaferns120472
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Hi Tim

Yes we have BT Sport but not sure what you mean by a Youview box?  I have just ran a speed test on my PC and it came back download speed 8.16 and upload speed 2.83.  And then a ran another speed test using the BT app on my phone and that came back download 14 and upload 4.3.

0 Ratings
andreaferns120472
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi Tim

Yes we have BT Sport but not sure what you mean by a Youview box? I have just ran a speed test on my PC and it came back download speed 8.16 and upload speed 2.83. And then a ran another speed test using the BT app on my phone and that came back download 14 and upload 4.3.
0 Ratings
andreaferns120472
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Hi.

How do I set up port forwarding rule for the Playstation within he Hub manager?
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

A Youview box is a BT supplied Freeview & Internet channel recorder and if watching BT Sport on it when you have a SKy Q box it can knock out the Sky Q minis.
But as you don't seem to have such a box then don't worry about my question.
0 Ratings
andreaferns120472
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I had actually forgotten that I had already setup port forwarding for the Playstation a few months which was for the Smart Hub 1.  I have since received a new Smart Hub 2.  Do I need to do this again?

0 Ratings