Did you mean: 
Highlighted
KautoStar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Sky q boxes and BT Broadband

Go to solution

Hi

im considering getting Sky Q but am a bit put off by suggestions that having a SkyQ box with BT Broadband causes problems with wifi access to other equipment like IPads, etc.

Any advice very much appreciated.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Sky q boxes and BT Broadband

Go to solution
no problems at all
0 Ratings
KautoStar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for the rely.

0 Ratings
inixon79
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I have SKy Q Silver and with 3 x mini sky q on BT broadband HH6 and lots of other wifi devices and all works a treat.  Go for it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Perhaps the suggestion has come from Sky, hoping you will change your BB to them?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

How did you connect the BT Hub to the Sky Q boxes so you could take advantage of the Sky Q mesh network and use the Sky boxes as access points?

I’ve connected by Ethernet from the BT hub to the Sky q main box ( I also have a mini and two range extenders) but don’t seem to be able to access the internet via the Sky boxes. 

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I’ve just switched from Sky to BT as BB provider. 

How do I connect my Sky q main box ( I also have a mini and two range extenders) to the BT hub in such a way as to be able to use the Sky boxes as access points for internet. 

At the moment I’ve connected via Ethernet from the BT hub to the Sky q box and the Sky Q box can see the internet and is obviously connected because I can use iPlayer, catch up tv etc but the SSID that the box transmits is not the same as the BT Hub name, nor can I access the internet using it. 

Am I doing something wrong?

D

0 Ratings
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@David_Burditt I’ve got Sky Q with BT Infinity and I’m pretty sure the Sky Access Points will only work with Sky broadband and router.

0 Ratings
Travelusa
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

you can only connect the sky q box to the BT router via the 2g there 5 g is ther own network with the mini box and also connecting to the Sky router via ther mesh

Or connect the box via ethernet if you can

Sky will not allow you to connect ther box to the BT router via the 5G

I have tried as soon as i said i was using a BT Router i got the Version of the Sky ELBOW not our brodband so why should we open up our router to bt

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@David_Burdittwrote:

I’ve just switched from Sky to BT as BB provider. 

How do I connect my Sky q main box ( I also have a mini and two range extenders) to the BT hub in such a way as to be able to use the Sky boxes as access points for internet. 

At the moment I’ve connected via Ethernet from the BT hub to the Sky q box and the Sky Q box can see the internet and is obviously connected because I can use iPlayer, catch up tv etc but the SSID that the box transmits is not the same as the BT Hub name, nor can I access the internet using it. 

Am I doing something wrong?

D

Hi @David_Burditt

Using the Sky boxes as access points is only available when using the Sky Q Hub and having Sky as your ISP provider. The Skyxxxx you are seeing are used by the Sky Q Mesh and AirPlay etc. You cannot connect to them as WiFi access points. 

0 Ratings