cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bikeboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Skype calls and VOIP calls continually dropping, there does not appear to be a problem with my BBand

I am using BT Infinity with a download speed of approximately 38 Mb/s. I am trying to use Skype, but I am finding all calls drop and require me to restart the call. The issue is not limited to Skype because I use a conferencing VOIP app and this suffers the same problems and as a result VOIP apps are unusable. I am able to prove that the issue is not related to my connection because I use a Citrix connection over Infinity and this does not drop when I am using the VOIP apps. I am also able to prove that the device I am using (iphone 6) is not an issue because I use the VOIP apps from another network and it is 100% reliable. Therefore I can only conclude that BT are limiting or packet shaping VOIP traffic, is anyone able to advise if that this is the case?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Skype calls and VOIP calls continually dropping, there does not appear to be a problem with my B

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ajburgess
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Re: Skype calls and VOIP calls continually dropping, there does not appear to be a problem with my B

Hi, I am experiencing the same issues as the post originator and, as he hasn't responded, i thought I'd take the liberty!

I experience frequent drop outs and poor quality calls. I run wireless usually but have tried both ther 5GHz and 2GHz channels, and also Ethernet direct to the router

I ran the tests which show that I am getting pretty close to max connectivity. So, it is either an intermittent connection or there is an issue with the router, right? (note that I have recently upgraded my device thinking that this woudl sort the issue. It has not)

Downstream:

Test Result

Download speedachieved during the test was - 30.63 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 27.5 Mbps-31.36 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 31.36 Mbps

Upstream:

Test Result

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.76Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

Many thanks

Anthony

0 Ratings
bikeboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Use this - https://www.voipreview.org/speedtest

I found that the source of the problem was upstream in the network. Using the VOIP tester I could see lots of packet drops, jitter and latency.

Contact BT and tell them there is a problem with your profile. Expect a battle because they're clueless about anything that is going on within the network. I had a BT engineer visit my home and gave him a 1 hour tutorial on routing and network diagnostics e.g. trace route etc.

0 Ratings
ajburgess
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the link. Not sure what some of these things are but it looks pretty good, right?:

Ping avg: 15ms. Jitter Avg: 1ms

Download avg: 30Mps Bufferbloat avg: 73ms

Upload avg: 11 Mbps. Bufferbloat avg: 30ms

Packet loss: 05 MOS: 4.4

Skype seems fine at the moment so I will repost next time it falls over

Thanks again

0 Ratings