cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Slow Wifi Speeds after moving home

I have a Smart Hub 2, and moved into this property exactly a week ago. On thursday, the day before we moved in, FTTP was activated. 

Our previous home was only 100m away, on the same estate, and had 300mbps FTTP. No complaints. Our phones and laptops ran just fine on wifi, we were extremely happy with our service.

Now we are in the new property, I decided to upgrade to 500mbps (and was given the option for 900).

The speeds here are much much worse, and we're not even getting 1/10 of what we're paying for. 

I can hold my phone or laptop (both with wifi 6) touching the router, and only get 20mbps. I spoke to customer services, and they say I shouldn't expect 500mbps, and it's only really for multiple users, and that 20 is expected., because of interference and obstacles and other devices (even if it's just me connected, stood next to the router.)

Surely this is complete rubbish? My wifi has slowed down, but I upgraded and paid for quicker?

Of course this doesn't matter to BT and they're meeting their speed promise, as the modem is getting 500mps. But it's not a lot of good if it's outputting 4% of what we're paying for, we might as well be on copper.

I run a business from home, and it's getting infuriating. What are my options?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Slow Wifi Speeds after moving home

Upgrading to a higher speed has absolutely no effect on wireless performance. The only thing that has changed is your environment, the equipment is exactly the same.

Try changing wireless channels manually, same with wireless mode.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

if you run a business from home are you a business customer and not residential?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

If my device is connected to the same router, on the same settings, right next to it, surely the issue is not with the 1cm wifi environment between the devices. 

Regardless, I have changed both channels and modes, disabling 2.4ghz to force 5ghz did not improve speeds. 

It was not until recently we had decided to work from home full time. We had previously been in a shared office. This does not help solve the issue. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

no it does not solve the problem but if you are running a business and you are a business user then you are on the wrong forum as this is residential   business is here   https://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

No this is a home connection. 500mbps, getting 20mbps on an ax device 1cm from the router. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@sgpascoe wrote:

No this is a home connection. 500mbps, getting 20mbps on an ax device 1cm from the router. 

Bear in mind that you are breaching the residential T&Cs by using your line for business usage, if you are registered as a business.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

did you bring the hub with you from previous address or is it a new hub?  if previous hub did you try a factory reset to clear previous history - recessed button on back and hold 20/30 secs until lights flash

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Yes this is a unit previous used in the other home. Thanks I'll give it a go! 

BT must be busy pursuing all the people who are now working from home due to covid! 🤣

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@sgpascoe wrote:

BT must be busy pursuing all the people who are now working from home due to covid! 🤣

that is not the same -  working from home for employer is ok but running a business on residential line is as @Keith_Beddoe  said contrary to the T&C