cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: Slow broadband speed with full fiber using powerline adapter

Try a direct connection to the ONT as that will take the Hub out of the equation. See if speeds are stable there. The following is a rough guide as things may be slightly different between Windows versions but should get you going.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/921/

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

Thanks will have a bash at that in a few days

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

Hi, Finally got around to testing via ONT however still mixed results. The native speedtest app couldn't connect to internet but could through browser (417/89 at 1:49pm 483/106 at 1:50), as could google speed test (706/98), fast.com (390), broadband speedchecker (415/87). 

The minimum speed guarantee is 700 but the only one that reached that was the google ST, and TBH it appears a bit of an outlier.

Tested again using original connection via powerline and that is now 58/64.

Using the BT speed checker from My BT app, after several attempts, they state speed to the hub 947 upload 111

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

Hi,

I have the same problem, did you ever make any more progress with this issue?

If I cable connect my laptop to a port in my router I get downloads speeds of around 285Mbps. In the room where I work, I get download speeds of around 35Mbps via my powerline adapter. If I switch to WiFi, my laptop defaults to the 2.4Ghz band & I get download speeds of around 15Mbps.  Even in my tiny house the router automatically chooses this band due to the great distance from the router! On the older BT routers you could choose which devices used which band, but the only control you have on the latest router is to turn off one of the bands, to force the remaining band to be used.

I need the 2.4Ghz band to be active for one of my devices, but if I do turn this band off on my router, thus forcing my laptop to connect via 5Ghz, I get download speeds of around 44Mbps,  via a much weaker (i.e. flaky) wireless signal.

I have come to the conclusion that for the vast majority of people, who don't have network cabling in their houses, only the devices that you can directly cable connect to the 3 free router ports get the full speed benefits of Full Fibre. If you are in the same room as the router, using a wireless connection via the 5Ghz band, you will also get improved download speeds, but in my testing, these speeds were around 100Mbps slower than from a direct cable connection.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

Hi

No difference at the mo, I am considering running network cable from ONT to another point in the house to attach the router there (that will involve some floorboard lifting) where I can directly feed my desktop PC, and use the powerlines from there.  When I connect a laptop to router  wifi is faster ?!?  Any phones connected via wifi in same room as router are fast in 300mbps range. 

I have the same issue that I need the 2.4ghz to be active for some of my devices (Sky Q), TV I believe is 5ghz, but 2.4 also happens to impact bluetooth devices (headphones)

Powerlines elsewhere to my desktop 41 download 61 upload,  moby via wifi from same powerline adapter (5ghz) 390mbps.

Speed to desktop is main issue, other devices (TV SKY, Music Server, Streamer) are happy running off  slower speeds so at some point I'm going to need to run that cable.

I have looked at mesh metworks but at least one device will still need cable (Poweline) connection.

It is definately disappointing that the full speed benefits are limited, especially in older houses.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever log a call with BT about this issue? 

I tried to report the issue today, but I didn't get very far, as although my full fibre was unexpectedly installed on 14/08/23 (over 4 months after I placed my order!!), there is still an open order for the scheduled installation on 24/08/23. This order date is apparently set in stone & the order cannot be cancelled, or marked as complete, until that date has passed. Until then, I am still shown as running on copper & no diagnostic tests can be carried out as a consequence of this.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

Not reported to BT as when tested speed at ONT / Router was within range only afterwards did speed drop. I'm pretty sure of what their response would be if I did! 

0 Ratings