cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Slow connection on one device

I have a homehub 2 with many devices connected to the wifi and all work fine and fast. I have one laptop that connects to the wifi fine but the speed will not go above 4.5mbps download but 30mbps for the upload. I connected the laptop through a ethernet connection and that has the same results. I then attached it to my mobile and the speeds where much faster. How can I get this to work the same as the other devices, they all round around 100mbps.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Slow connection on one device

Hi

We had similar issues (have a look at my post about this earlier today).

The bit that isn't in the post is that some of our devices get better WiFi speeds than others and this seems to be dependent on the WiFi adapter that they have in them e.g. my laptop WiFi speed went from 1/3 of ethernet speed to 2/3 ethernet speed when selecting 5GHz WiFi connection but my son's Oculus Quest can get the same speeds as I get over ethernet even though it's on WiFi -150Mbps which is the same as our hub speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Just noticed that you wrote your laptop gets the same slow speeds when using ethernet too - I'm stumped as well now! 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

PS. If we weren't in lockdown, I'd suggest plugging that laptop (with the same ethernet cable) into someone else's router to see what happens!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@dave1cruse it sounds like the laptop has a poor quality network card in. We had the same issue with my wifes so I bought a USB WiFi dongle from an online retailer for a few quid and it's now up to 30+Mbps... Still nowhere near our connection speed but the overall laptop isn't great but does what she needs it to do .

Message 6 of 10

Check that you have the most up to date drivers for the laptop's network card. Use the card manufacturer's website  or laptop manufacturer's website rather than using the Windows version. 

Message 7 of 10

Thanks for getting back to me, I have tested connection with neighbors wifi and all working fine. Even goes to 20mbps when I connect to 4 g on my phone. I have tried all the suggestions I could and updated drivers etc but no luck.

I thought it may be something to do with the home hub 2. We had an alarm fitted and it would not connect to the 4ghz or something like that. We had to hard wire it. I just dont understand what it could be.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Thank you will try that as a start.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Hi, 

I have done this and tested the laptop on my neighbors sky wifi and all is fine. Its just the connection with the home hub 2.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi Dave

I'm intrigued now that you've tested the laptop on the neighbour's WiFi and got high speeds!

Can I just double check that you've updated both the wireless adapter drivers and also the ethernet adapter drivers and that you got the new drivers from the adapter manufacturer's website as suggested by gg30340. This is because if it's a Windows laptop, the drivers that Windows installs are not always the best drivers for the particular adapter.

0 Ratings