Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Slow fibre broadband with 3rd party router/modem

Go to solution

I finally had my fibre broadband installed today.  I initially made sure it worked with the BT HomeHub and I got a speed of 73Mb/s (20 Mb/s upload).  I then decided to try my Synology RT2600ac with the Vigor 130 modem.  The speed plummeted to 20 Mb/s, with 6 Mb/s upload.  Ok, I thought, I'll go back to the BT hub however I soon discovered the WiFi performance is dire compared to the Synology router and, despite 73Mb/s on my wired iMac connection, I was only getting 15 Mb/s downstairs at my Apple TV. The MacBook was no better. I put the Synology router back and I get 19 Mb/s at the Apple TV, despite the lower connection rate so only a 1Mb/s drop.

Does anyone know where the problem could be? According to the modem I have a 80Mb/s connection (20Mb/s up) but the Synology router is giving me 20 up and 6 down. Is it just that the line has to adjust itself to the 3rd party gear? I'm quite happy to use the BT hub if only I could get decent WiFI through the rather thick walls of a 170 year old house!  The Synology has no problem with the WiFI but I've lost 66% of my speed.  I can't find a magic setting in the router that will restore my speed. Moving the router isn't an option as I need a wired connection to various things (NAS etc.) that are upstairs in my study.

Any ideas much appreciated.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slow fibre broadband with 3rd party router/modem

Go to solution

I've partly solved the problem.  The BT hub defaulted to limiting WiFi to b/g/n so speeds were very slow.  I now have a/n/ac speeds on 5GHz so have 70 Mb/s at the laptop and Apple TV. 2.4 Ghz is still b/g/n and limited to 54 Mb/s though I'm not too bothered as I don't have a lot of gear using 2.4Ghz.  Still no idea why the Synology/Draytek combination doesn't want to play ball.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Post your stats from the Vigor 130 and Home Hub for comparison.  Have you installed the latest BT firmware on the Vigor 130 modem?  Also have you disabled QoS on the Synology - it may be limiting bandwidth to an individual device.

0 Ratings
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.  I fixed the problem by doing a factory reset of the Synology router.  There appears to have been some setting that was causing the problem.  No idea what it could have been but I'm now getting 75 Mb/s download.

0 Ratings