Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidm2
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Slow file transfers over wifi between laptops and NAS drive

Hi there

Hopefully someone can help with this issue...I have recently upgraded to the latest BT hub and have added a disc (complete wifi). My transfer speeds when transferring files between my laptop and NAS drive are now painfully slow. Transfer speeds start at around 500kb/s then drop to zero intermittently. I did not measure the transfer speeds before the upgrade however I do know that the transfer speeds were significantly quicker. I use an access database over the network which worked well pre upgrade, however, is now  painfully slow! 😞  Hopefully someone can tell me its just a case of changing a setting somewhere!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
davidm2
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slow file transfers over wifi between laptops and NAS drive

After speaking to BT turns out the issue is that you can't split the latest routers into 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz networks as you could with previous routers. Result is that file transfers are a lot slower between laptops and my NAS drive.

Suggestion from BT is either revert back to old router which means that my new router and disc are now useless (and I can't send that back because I've had them more than 14 days) and I need to keep an additional £5 per month for the privilege of having them sat in a box, or connect my laptops using an ethernet cable to the router.

I have now connected 1 laptop by a cable and speeds are back to what they were with the previous router. 

Not exactly what you would call an ideal situation, feels like going back in time to plugged in computers without wifi! Not exactly progress!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

I would suggest you were fobbed off by who ever you spoke to at BT customer services.

Did you have the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz split on your "old" system?  Even if you were transferring on the "slower" 2.4Ghz it would still be faster than what you were getting.

If you have not already done it make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
davidm2
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks, I'll try that and maybe try again with BT...last thing I want is to have network cables and boxes all over the house again!
0 Ratings