cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Smart Hub 2 - 2.4 or 5MHz

Hi, I've just upgraded (???) from a Hub5 to a Smart Hub 2.  I used to have a 2.4MHz SSID and a separate 5MHz SSID, but on the Smart Hub 2, I cannot split them.  Now our devices (e.g. phones) are randomly picking either the 2.4 or the 5, even when I am really close to the  hub.  I would like (obviously) for them to choose 5 as it's faster, but drop to 2.4 in few remote areas of the house where the 5 does not reach so well.

Also I notice in the Hub Management screen that my phone is tagged as 'dual band = NO', even though it is actually appearing on both the 2.4 (as live) and 5 (as dormant) MHz lists.  I don't seem to be able to change this in settings?  How has the hub decided that my Pixel 4a phone is not dual band??

Why is the new hub allocating them to the slower of the two wifi channels??  If we have several devices all connected to 2.4 rather than 5, the overall performance will suffer.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 - 2.4 or 5MHz

@BobE1 

The reason you can't split the wifi is because of the whole Home wifi - Black discs - setup and you're not the first to raise this as an issue by  long way.

2.4GHZ can support speeds of 450Mbps - 600Mbps so unless you have a 900Mbps FTTP line or move a great deal of data around your home network then 2.4GHZ band is surely adequate I would have thought & you can turn off the 5GHZ band.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 - 2.4 or 5MHz

the hub does not decide which wifi network your device connects that is decided by the device itself

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 - 2.4 or 5GHz

Ah thanks.  Shows how long I go back, as I thought 2.4 MHz  (STUPID ME, of course I mean GHz throughout!) was only capable of about 11Mbps?  I obviously haven't kept up with b, g, a, n, ac etc . . . I must read up).

Thanks for the reassurance.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 - 2.4 or 5GHz

@BobE1 

I didn't actually notice you'd written M instead of G , just saw the 2.4 & 5 figures.🙂

In truth I don't think that many users can justify using the 5GHZ band unless maybe you're connecting a laptop to a NAS or similar when you might be shifting loads of data and the 2.4GHZ band can support most users maximum internet bandwidth.