cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub 2 FTTP Cat5e (red) cable connecting ONT to SH2

Go to solution

Hi, I have set up my SH2 (FTTP) as per the instructions from BT using the Cat5e cable in the box (the red end cable) interconnecting between the ONT and the SH2. Is there any benefit to me upgrading this interconnecting cable from Cat5e to Cat6 (or Cat6a) or even Cat7 or Cat8? The cynic in me does wonder if the SH2 ships with Cat5e as it's likely cheaper than the newer versions of Cat and saves BT money.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub 2 FTTP Cat5e (red) cable connecting ONT to SH2

Go to solution

If you want to waste your money, go ahead. A Cat5E patch cable is entirely adequate.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@dustyb1605wrote:

The cynic in me does wonder if the SH2 ships with Cat5e as it's likely cheaper than the newer versions of Cat and saves BT money.

Cat5e can handle 1000mbps, the fastest speeds available with BT are 900 mbps down, so it's perfect for all packages BT sell.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for the prompt response. So, are you suggesting there is no benefit to using anything above Cat5e? Are you able to explain why?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Have a read through this link and if you do an Internet search you will find more info.

The short answer is that as a "normal" home user you will find no difference in performance only in your wallet.

Cat5e vs. Cat6 (cablematters.com)

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

None whatsoever.

As @-Richie-  has already stated, Cat5E is specified to carry 1000Mb/s for a distance of 100M. The speed of the link between the ONT and Hub is no greater than 900Mb/s and is nowhere near 100M.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks, makes perfect sense when summarised like this! I did wonder if inconsistencies in my BB speed could be alleviated by upgrading from Cat5e but based on responses so far I suspect not.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

You suspect correctly.

If you are having a specific problem it would be worth posting about that and the forum users may be able to assist you.

0 Ratings