Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
say-what
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Smart Hub 2 + IP Reservations (Static)

Hey,

Sorry if I have missed this in the forum.

For a couple of items in the house I would prefer (and need) an static IP. I won't bore you with what I need it for.

The Homehub 5 reserves the IPs like a dream, much like some TP-Link routers I have had.

The Smart Hub aka Homehub 6 did not allow this and caused issues - also was rubbish and got no help from BT

Does anyone know if the Smart Hub 2 can reserve IP address? Or is it the trick of putting it outside of the IP range and setting the IP on the machine?

Thanks

Adam

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 + IP Reservations (Static)

If I want a static IP address I would always set it on the device itself outside of the DHCP range rather than trust the hub to allocate the same address by DHCP and reservation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

If you do wish to use the SH2 address reservation facility, you achieve it by going to Advanced settings > My Network > select the device you wish to reserve an address  and then select YES against 'Always use this IP address'

0 Ratings
say-what
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

That sounds great!

I only ask as the SmartHub (1) had these options, you could press save. But it would not save the settings

BT said it was for business use only when I called several times.

I'm sorry to ask, but if you press save, come out of that menu and go back in again. Does the setting stay?

Thanks

Adam

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Yep, but 'YES' is the default anyway.

I guess if you mentioned 'Static' IP addresses rather than address reservation, they assumed you meant a static public IP address which is only available for business lines.

0 Ratings