cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
muffybean
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub 2 Manager Crocked?

I have recently been supplied with BT Smart Hub 2 plus one black WiFi disc. I have since been provided with two more discs because I have a large home. On top of this I do have an extensive home network, around 20 or more devices connected. I previously used a Netgear D640 router connected to two extenders (one setup as an access mode) plus an old Netgear Access point. The sales lady who talked me into it having the new hub assured me that this new hub was the best thing ever!

As I had a 14 day cooling off period I went with and that is where my problems began. I had a very extensive task trying to set up all the new IP addresses for various devices, including my two security cameras, my Central Heating (wireless) thermostat and two smart meters front and back of the house. The main issue in the beginning was caused by a faulty WiFi disc that came with the hub. When I got on to the help team, spoke to 13 from different parts of the country with differing views on the problem. I eventually finished up with four WiFi discs! However, two days I arrived home to find that the hub had lost broadband connection. I rebooted it and got the connection back but phoned the help line to advise what happened and she decided to send out an engineer to find out what was happening, she also posted me a mini hub to cover my wireless connections but they were ok.

I have spent in excess of 20 hours in getting this system set up and by late last night actually got all four discs working ok with good signals around my house. When the engineer arrived today I explained to him what had happened but generally appeared disinterested and when he realised the hub was ok as far as he was concerned that was the end of the story.

However, my main gripe is this **bleep** Smart Hub 2 Manager which in my opinion is all gobbledygook. For a start it does not see my discs under the WiFi Discs box in devices section but lists them as 2.4GHz devices, yet under MyDiscs all four are shown as 5GHz devices. The settings in SH2M are constantly changing around. Today my Samsung Tablet A which was previously listed as such for some reason the SH2M has called it an iPad today! The Bt Smart app on my Android phone is much more reliable but even there when I used it to determine the best place to place my discs, quite often it said Good or Excellent connection for the area I chose and when I connected the disk it came up orange and poor connection, yet on another day it changed. I have got screen captures showing all this but cannot see where I can post them.

In conclusion I have got my LAN working OK but it has involved a load of work on my part and not a very positive attitude from the BT help team. Only two of them admit that the SH2M is unreliable. Can anyone give any comments on this please. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
mfoley89
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub 2 Manager Crocked?

Hi Muffybean,

Sounds like you're not having a good time! Couple of questions which may help you (perhaps in the future as you're now up and running).

1 - Why are you giving your devices static IP addresses? I can think of a few old security camera systems that may need this - but seems unlikely. I don't know of a smart thermostat on the market that would need a static IP. I may be wrong, but sounds like you're giving yourself an unnecessary headache here.

2- What smart meters do you have / who's your energy provider? This is just a point of intrigue on my part - I was under the impression all smart meters rolled out in the UK had a built in SIM, and could not connect to a home network.

3 - 'Today my Samsung Tablet A which was previously listed as such for some reason the SH2M has called it an iPad today!'  - What makes you think it was the Samsung Tablet that was now displaying as 'iPad' ? 

4 - 'However, two days I arrived home to find that the hub had lost broadband connection' - The broadband connection failing is nothing to do with the rest of your setup. Hopefully just an initial fault whilst the new line stabilises.

Cheers

0 Ratings
muffybean
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

1. First of all apart from my external camera that has to be static, all the connections are controlled by DHCP and by default the box is checked always use this IP address.

2. The smart meters are controlled by a Zigbee Communications Gateway which is a router connected to the hub via Ethernet cable.

3. Because of MAC address and IP.

4. Did not say it was. It had been running fine for two weeks when it cut out and would have assumed that was more than sufficient time for it to settle down. What concerned me is it came after all the series of problems I had setting up the WiFi discs during that period. 

As I said my main gripe is the Smart Hub 2 Manager which is very rogue and does not give an accurate reading of my devices and WiFi discs. I cannot fathom out why it does not show the WiFi disks in the relevant place, WiFi Discs. Hopefully you can view this link to see three files displaying what I am referring to. Smart Hub Manager 2 Settings

0 Ratings
mfoley89
Message 4 of 7

Muffybean,

1 - 'First of all apart from my external camera that has to be static, all the connections are controlled by DHCP and by default the box is checked always use this IP address.'

Then I'm not sure what would have taken so long when you say: 'I had a very extensive task trying to set up all the new IP addresses for various devices, including my two security cameras, my Central Heating (wireless) thermostat and two smart meters front and back of the house.'

If it was a case of connecting all devices to the new wifi network, one trick is to rename the new hub's SSID to the same as the old one, and set the same password. Then all devices will just connect to the new one without you having to go to each of them and join them to the network.

2 - 'The smart meters are controlled by a Zigbee Communications Gateway which is a router connected to the hub via Ethernet cable.'

In which case, there should be nothing to set up, just plug in the ethernet cable to the new hub. Same point as 1, not sure what would have taken any time here.

3 -  Because of MAC address and IP.

This one has really got my interest, and is quite the bug if so!

The name that populates there is from the device and not something the hub should be able to get wrong. If you get the time, could you double check to make sure that it is 100% the MAC of the Samsung device (this can be found in the settings, in a path similar to:  ' Settings -> About ->Status -> Wi-Fi MAC address'. 

If it is the same MAC, then could you also check that the Samsung tablet's name isn't set to 'iPad' (this can also be found in the path:  'Settings -> About')

If all looks to match, could you then forget the wifi network on the tablet, remove the device from the list on the hub and then rejoin the wifi network on the tablet. Really intrigued to see what name it will then pick. 

4 - 'Did not say it was. It had been running fine for two weeks when it cut out and would have assumed that was more than sufficient time for it to settle down. What concerned me is it came after all the series of problems I had setting up the WiFi discs during that period. '

Hopefully the last of the disconnects you face - BT can be quite unhelpful in tracing these!

5 - 'As I said my main gripe is the Smart Hub 2 Manager which is very rogue and does not give an accurate reading of my devices and WiFi discs. I cannot fathom out why it does not show the WiFi disks in the relevant place, WiFi Discs. Hopefully you can view this link to see three files displaying what I am referring to. Smart Hub Manager 2 Settings'

I can see the dropbox images. On first look, it does seem unusual about the discs. I'll have to check mine when home to see if it's the same. I wonder if it's to do with whatever band devices are connecting to on the disc (if the discs are dual band too that is!). 

Hopefully your problems are coming to an end now!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@muffybean 

MACs beginning with 60:D9:C7 are reserved for Apple products.

mfoley89
Message 6 of 7

Good to know!
Then as suspected, just a misreading from muffybean.
0 Ratings
muffybean
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi guys not a misreading it is correct as I showed in the capture but at the time I got mixed up with the IP address; further more my Samsung tablet was there but in the confusion of seeing the iPad missed it. However, what makes it weird is that that capture I showed showing the iPad, as you can see was not switched on or active, so I removed it. What makes this very strange is that I do not have an iPad and the only other person in my detached house is my wife and she does not do technical!

Then I suddenly thought, when the BT Engineer called this morning, guess what he was using to access my WiFi. Yep you got it one so there was the answer. 😁🤣. Many thanks for your input.

0 Ratings