cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 81 of 143

Re: Smart Hub 2 Wi Fi devices are dropping connection and reconnecting

@pmosb wrote:

Mode 2 appears in practice not to have a detrimental effect. BT support couldn’t explain difference.   I believe the switching off of 2.4Ghz was the real answer to the wifi dropping. 

See link

What is the wireless mode feature on my BT Smart Hub? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 82 of 143

@hammerjeff67 

You can still turn the 2.4GHz off.

It's not difficult to create your own 2.4 or 5 GHz network at zero cost if you've got an old router and a spare ethernet cable kicking around, simply configure the old router as an access point and connect it to your existing router by ethernet.

If you don't have an old router then you can do it for somewhere in the region of £35 using a wireless repeater configured in access point mode and  connected in the same way.

0 Ratings
Message 83 of 143

Mode 2 - “reduced range”.   Yes, I’d go with that description.  I wonder what that actually means? I have never had any previous issues if any older devices not coping with Mode 1. That is doubly annoying as switching off 2.4Ghz also reduces range.   

my BT Disc does not seem to extend range anymore - I winder if Mode 2 disables it too?

yes I have bodged a 2.4Ghz repeater work around for the device that can only use 2.4

it is all a bit compromised when previously my SH2 was an excellent one box reliable solution. 

BT Smart Hub 2 + BT Disc on full fibre 150Meg Halo FTTP
Macs and iphones, plus alexa, YouView box, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV+
CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 84 of 143

@pmosb 

Yes, your hub needs to be in mode 1 for the disc to work.

This was established some time ago on this forum, try searching for Mode 1 or Mode 2 etc

Edit: Solved: BT wifi Disc not pairing. Flashing blue. Firmware ... - BT Community message 7

0 Ratings
Message 85 of 143

@Les-Gibson  Thanks. BT tech help didn’t tell me that!   **bleep**. Now Ill need to find another workaround. I might revert to Mode 1 and test. 

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 86 of 143

@pmosb 

BT Tech help? - No comment!

Did you see message 82?

I can post details if you're interested

0 Ratings
Message 87 of 143

@Les-Gibson Yes.  I have already done all that, but I need the BTDisc. I am unable to definitively state where mode1 or Dual channels is the root cause of the bug. So Ill trial Mode 1 and test. 

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 88 of 143

@pmosb 

I suspect that switching to any mode other than mode 1 will cause you disc to fail.

What you could try is turning off the 5GHz network on the hub, you can always provide that using a wireless Access Point and a different SSID as per message 82.

That way you can leave the hub in mode 1 and your disc should continue to work

0 Ratings
Message 89 of 143

@Les-Gibson 

In Mode 2 my disc is not flashing and the app shows it is connected to 4 devices. So this casts doubt on the link you posted stating Mode 1 is the only way Discs can work.

Also, I don't wish to turn off 5GHz as that IS the way Discs work effectively - the high bandwidth low range nature of 5GHz is suited to being repeated by placement of the Disc.

My workaround is the least trouble, Mode 2,  5GHz + BT disc for 90% of devices, and a Powerlink repeater rebroadcasting in 2.4GHz for the old device that needs 2.4.

CFP project lead.
0 Ratings
Message 90 of 143

Reading the time and effort people are going to, to try to get a device, distributed and owned by a company providing a service that we pay for, is appalling.

BT this SH2 firmware is a disgrace. You should reimburse every person you have sent one of these devices to until this firmware issue is rectified.

Is there a customer protection committee around broadband issues caused by feckless ISPs?

0 Ratings