Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 62

Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

I've just upgraded to Ultrafast Fibre Plus and BT installed the new Smart Hub 2 for me. The speed I'm getting to the hub measured on any wired device is as advertised which is approx 140mbps, but the WiFi speed is really slow. Even stood next to the router the WiFi speed is around 50mbps. I've even tried buying a couple of complete WiFi discs, adding them, and it's exactly the same, sometimes even slower. I've tried a factory reset, changing WiFi channels, disabling Smart Setup, but I'm constantly experiencing slow WiFi speeds. With my previous contract which gave me 67mbps download, that speed was achieved with both wired and wired devices, so upgrading to the faster broadband has actually slowed my WiFi speeds down. Has anyone experienced and WiFi speed issues with the new Smart Hub 2 and/or with Complete WiFi??

0 Ratings
61 REPLIES 61
albertj
Contributor
Message 2 of 62

Re: Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

Not sure about Android, but on iOS there is an app called WiFi Sweetspots. This tells you the actual speed from the router, not connection speed. If that makes sense. E.g if I was getting 50mb this app could say 200mb because that's how much it could theoretically do. I would post a link but don't think it's allowed.

If you click Start and walk around your home, see what it says. I have seen a Smart Hub 2 with Complete WiFi disks be able to deliver the full 74mbps package, so it may be faulty. But see what this app says if possible 🙂

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 62

Hi @Bernie747   It sounds like you are connected using the slow 2.4 GHz band. I am getting maximum speed on my SH2 and Disc up to a link speed of 866 Mbps WiFi 5 GHz. Super fast BB internet 74 Mbps (max for me) solid on WiFi.

albertj
Contributor
Message 4 of 62

True.
@Bernie747, if you type 192.168.1.254 into your browser and click My Devices, you can see what band your devices are connected to.
You can also split them on this dashboard if you wish so you can have 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 62

I've been sent another Smart Hub 2 today which I set up and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. I am connected on the 5ghz band so that isn't causing the slow speeds. I've also read that Sky Q can interfere, I've pulled all the power on the Sky boxes to eliminate that as well, that hasn't made any difference either...

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 6 of 62

When you're testing next to the router, are you sure the device is connected to the router and not one of the disks?
If you're using the My BT app to set up the disks, do they all show as having a strong connection. If you plug an ethernet cable into the back of the disks do you get the correct speed?
--
0 Ratings
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 62

I used to have the same BB package as you, the problem has only occurred since upgrading to Ultra Fibre Plus with a speed they quoted me of 140mbps, which I get wired, just nowhere near when on WiFi
0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 8 of 62

Are you able to try the app I recommended?
--
0 Ratings
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 62

I have made sure it's connected to the router. I've even turned off all WiFi discs to make sure and I still only get slow WiFi speeds from the Smart Hub 2

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 10 of 62

Is this on all devices? What devices are you trying it on?
--
0 Ratings