Yes, all devices that I can test the speed on, namely an iMac, MacBook Air, iPad Pro and an iPhone X
Hmm ok strange, your device is only getting 40mbps on 5ghz next to the router?
Factory reset everything and otherwise contact BT and ask for a new router and maybe disks again.
Do you get more than 40 on any of the disks?
Just come across your post, because I’m getting exactly the same symptoms.
With FTTC and Smarthub 1, I was consistently getting download speed of 80mbps on Ethernet and about 63-69mbps on Wi-fi.
2 week’s ago, I had FTTP installed with Smarthub2 and I now get 140mbps on Ethernet and still only about 60mbps on Wi-fi. Upload speed on Wi-fi, is a consistent 30mbps.
At all times (before and after) measurements were done using Ookla app on an iPad and standing within 2 metres of the hub. Also used Ookla on an iPhone and my wife’s slightly newer iPad. No differences to Wi-fi speed were detected, with these different devices.
I asked BT if I could just use my original Smarthub1, but they said it isn’t compatible with FTTP. So to check, they sent me a Smarthub1 with WAN socket (red lead).
This immediately produced Wi-fi speeds well in excess of 100mbps and Ethernet of 140mbps.
But BT representative also told me I couldn’t use my black (whole house) disc with this WAN version Smarthub 1, so having completed the speedchecks, I reinstalled the Smarthub 2. Because Wi-fi coverage upstairs is abysmal without it.
So I’m back to square one. I’m paying a lot more for a lot less. Okay I’ve got faster speeds to my PC, but there are far more Wi-fi devices in the house that are not benefiting from this supposedly faster service.
Does anyone think that some of these hubs could be faulty?
And is there any way that I can patch my black disc into the WAN Smarthub1?
Further to this, I had another visit from a BT engineer (3rd visit), and we decided to remove all possible chances of interference to troubleshoot what we both already was convinced was the problem, the SmartHub2. So he disconnected the phone line from the house and connected the hub directly to it and tested everything...140mb to the hub, and WiFi speed stood next to it, between 40 and 60mb. I even joked we put the hub in the garden to eliminate any interference from the house, which he did!!! Same results. I can't see any other issue other than the hub itself, I've tried reporting it to BT but they said they had no way of contacting whichever department was responsible for the Hub. Unlike the WholeHome WiFi where you can speak to a tech department and highlight any potential problems, it seems you can't do that for the SmartHub.
My workaround (expensive and therefore annoying!) is the Openreach engineer gave me an MT992 G.fast modem which I now use to connect to the internet and I've bought a Wireless Router take care of the rest. I now get full WiFi speed which again further highlights there must be an issue with the hub. This might not happen to everyone, but it's not an isolated issue. The engineer said when he next installs a SmartHub 2 and Ultrafast Fibre Plus, he'll run a WiFi speed test and let me know the outcome. He also mentioned when they install the kit he never runs a test on the WiFi, but will from now on to see how often this happens...
Thanks for that info. You're lucky you had an OpenReach engineer who showed some concern. The guy that installed my fibre couldn't wait to get away. He wanted to stay just long enough to see the appropriate green light appear on the modem box. But I wouldn't ket him leave until I'd at least checked to see if I had a broadband service. But that was performed on my iMac, which is a wired connection. No speed tests were done or wifi checked. He just said I should get 160mbps on everything, according to his experience!!!! Then he dashed off (it was 17:30 - maybe his dinner was going cold!!)