cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scattycat69
Beginner
Message 21 of 62

Re: Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

I'm having the same problem and several fault reports later still no success. Engineer said the speed was fine to the house, but that the router was reducing the speed significantly on wifi. I used to get wifi sat on my patio and now can't get it at all. Also constant drop outs (BT cs said I had 14 in one day, totally unacceptable). I have one disc they sent with the set up in my lounge, and they are sending another one foc (you can have 3 foc). If that doesn't work I'm going to ask them to revert me back and out my old hub back in.
scattycat69
Beginner
Message 22 of 62

Re: Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

I agree.  I've got the same problem.  Tempted to revert back to my original router and power extenders and tell them to stick the super fast

0 Ratings
79LPDeluxe
Beginner
Message 23 of 62

Re: Smart Hzub 2 WiFi Speed

Same here, g.fast installed Friday gone, previous to that had an 80/20mb circuit giving 70/18mb wifi throughput from a Hub6.

New hub on the way which I know will make no difference.

I'm 57m from the street PCP, can 160mb getting the Hub2. Ethernet into to laptop 150mb, Hub wifi varies with 10-50/3-19mb using various speed checkers... Sometimes the d/l speed is higher than the u/l.

Ethernet streaming to TV is blisteringly fast now, Wifi is also fast (@ 5ghz) but still, the actual speed test checkers show totally random results, I'm guessing a firmware issue here.

Considering a reconfigure of the Hub6 to a WAP, see if that gives the correct wifi speed measurement, either way, this is a hard/software issue that needs addressing.

Highlighted
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 62

I think there’s too many people experiencing the same problem for it to not be some sort of firmware issue. Don’t know if they monitor these forums because as far as I’m aware there’s no way of highlighting this issue to the relevant department, so I hope they do!

My guess is that a lot of people who get this installed don’t run WiFi speed tests either so a lot of people aren’t aware of this happening. 

Would also be interesting to hear from anyone with the same G.fast Ultrafibre Plus setup who’s actually getting the full WiFi speed. 

Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 25 of 62

Totally agree, it has to be some problem with the latest version of the Smarthub, or at least some of them. Firmware or possibly even faulty hardware.

My son has an identical FTTP set-up in Leeds (I'm in Liverpool), he gets DL of circa 140mbps and circa 120 mbps on Wi-Fi. 

If you read my earlier post, you'll see with a SmartHub 1st Generation (WAN socket), I got download speeds of 140mbps on Ethernet connection and 100+mbps on Wi-Fi.

BT help?line have said they are sending me a new hub, but 5 days later no sign of it yet.

They've also made sure my hub has the latest firmware version (it wasn't when it was installed). According to the My BT app, it's now v0.15.00.06145, the software is exactly the same number, which seems odd.

0 Ratings
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 62

I’m still on v0.13.03.02221 for both firmware and software. Does the problem still exist for you on the latest firmware??

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 27 of 62

The recent firmware upgrade made little or no difference to Wi-Fi download or upload speed. Still far, far slower than the Ethernet download of 140mbps. 

A BT Helpdesk person said I should be getting well in excess of 100mbps download on Wi-Fi, if I check the speed within a few metres and line of sight of the SmartHub.

What's your upload speeds? I consistently get 31mbps on wired and Wi-Fi. 

0 Ratings
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 62

No issues at all with upload speed, it's always consistent at around 30Mbps as per what I'm supposed to get, the only issue I have is with download speeds

79LPDeluxe
Beginner
Message 29 of 62

Two things I've now discovered, even though many online speed checkers are giving me totally random results every time I try .. i.e.  D/l 10, 20,40,85Mb. u/l 5,10,20,30mb and sometimes the u/l speed is higher than the d/l ..... !!

Im finding that my actual operating wifi speeds are quick, YouTube and Iplayer on IPad load much quicker now, and large email transfer tests fly in and out quick style !

Also, I've reconfigured my old Hub6 as a WAP from the Hub2 and guess what.... that older router gives a reading of 100mb over wifi whilst the Hub2 is giving 40mb, so yeah, you've definitely got a soft/firmware issue here BT.

Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 30 of 62

Yep, same as me. Original SmartHub with WAN connection gives WiFi download of well over 100mbps, whereas SmartHub 2 struggles to hit 80mbps. And sometimes lower than 50mbps. The SmartHub 2 just sucks!

I always run these test when there's no other (apparent) WiFi activity in the house. No TVs, streaming, iPads, surveillance cameras, etc. And with the black discs off.

Interesting what you say about speed testers. BT person yesterday told me I should use Fast.com, because apparently it doesn't have ads and other stuff that's eats up bandwidth, like Ookla. I'd have thought they should trust their own My BT app, which for me, gives the slowest results of all three.

For example yesterday I got 65 on Ookla, 64 on Fast and 41 on BT app. Then an hour or so later 79, 78 and 47.

So I think Ookla and Fast.com give similar results. 

0 Ratings