cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scattycat69
Beginner
Message 41 of 62

Re: Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

This is exactly what was told to me by the Open Reach engineer. The speeds going into the hub were fine (capped at 32mbps) but significantly less coming out of the router on wifi.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 62

In simple terms for me, yes, I get there can be interference which will affect WiFi download speeds, but when using the SmartHub 2 stood next to the router I get between 40 and 60Mbps. When using my own equipment which I've now resorted to, I get 140Mbps on WiFi when stood in the next room to my Linksys Wireless Router, the same as my wired speed! So I am not experiencing interference issues, it's pure and simply down to the SmartHub 2...

Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 43 of 62

Totally agree! BT have a problem; but nobody at BT is prepared to acknowledge this; and more importantly do something about it.
0 Ratings
scattycat69
Beginner
Message 44 of 62

Re: Smart Hzub 2 WiFi Speed

How do you test wifi speeds?
0 Ratings
scattycat69
Beginner
Message 45 of 62

All of these speeds are insane. I'm trying to get 32 guaranteed (and theyve capped lol)
0 Ratings
Message 46 of 62

I use the website speedtest.net
others are available - just google broadband speed test 😃
0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 47 of 62

BT want me to use Fast.com, because it doesn’t have ad downloads etc. I’ve tried to compare with my (and arguably many others) favourite, Ookla.
Overall, I find the results from Ookla are very similar to fast.com. The one that shows the biggest variability and disparity from these is the My BT app, that (for me) can show incredibly fast speeds, followed by snail paced speeds. Who am I to believe?
0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 48 of 62

All is now well. A moderator on here, picked up my frustrations and has sorted it.

Apparently there was a firmware glitch. This has now been recognised by BT and a roll-out of the firmware upgrade has been planned. Because I had commented and complained on here, I was given priority service. Hopefully you guys with similar problems will get a similar service.

Thanks again Matt.

IMG_2570.png

IMG_2571.png

0 Ratings
Bernie747
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 62

Any ideas when the update will be released?? Which department did you speak to in order for them to push it to your SmartHub 2? I tried the normal BT Helpdesk and they said they couldn't do it.

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 50 of 62

As I explained in my last message, I didn't call anybody, someone on here ( a moderator ) initiated the action. He PM'd me. I replied and explained everything that you can essentially read above in various posts.
However, prior to that I had been having a diatribe with BT help people. I only ever made one call though, to what I think is the Fibre Helpdesk (0800 587 4787). The number given to me in an email, when I placed my FTTP order.

After that, BT always called me to see if things had improved/changed - for instance after they sent me the SmartHub1 with WAN socket, or replacing the original SmartHub2.

Overall, I was extremely happy with their customer service, far better than a few years ago.

There was only one person out of a total of probably 7 or 8 who I spoke to over a 3 week period, who wasn't helpful and supportive. This person was based in the Exeter office (I've also spoken to people from Bristol, Dundee, Accrington as well as Exeter). He said I simply had a choice - use SmartHub1 and get better speeds or SmartHub2 with slower speeds but without having the "Whole House WiFi" black disc (mesh) facility. He also denied that there was firmware upgrade in the offing, even though I'd had a call from another BT person the evening before, telling me that there was one, and that BT had recognised there was a problem with SmartHub2s. I don't know if that was all versions of it, or just a few like mine and seemingly yours.

0 Ratings