Chr15parker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 81 of 113

Re: Smart Hzub 2 WiFi Speed

Hi Neil

i have tried changing the Wi-Fi channels but it doesn’t make any difference 

the system just struggles drastically on the 2.4ghz frequency 

any other options?

i heard some people went back to the smart hub 1 with a WAN connection. Is this possible?

0 Ratings
mclarenrob2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 82 of 113

Re: Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

I've just gone from 300Mbps to the 900Mbps service and switched from Smart Hub 1 to 2. 

Im getting the same problem. Hardwired by ethernet the speeds are good but WiFi has gone slower. 

0 Ratings
Chr15parker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 113

Check on the hub if your on the  2.4ghz or 5ghz Wi-Fi. 
The 2.4ghz is terrible -useless

5ghz is OK. 

I need to follow this up with BT as my kitchen TV is on 2.4 as it only supports 2.4 and it’s basically impossible to watch any streaming services. 

0 Ratings
Homer_J
Aspiring Expert
Message 84 of 113

I have just been doing some testing using iperf2 using another device on my network as the server.

On a wired connection I see the expected speeds just below 1000 Mbits/sec but with anything wireless no matter what speed it is connected at (my phone claims to be connected at 585Mbps) I get speeds just under 100 Mbits/sec.

wifi to wifi I can get speeds over 100

Tested multiple times with different devices now and it's always the same, wifi/wired gets under 100, wired/wired gets close to 1000, wifi/wifi gets up to about 200 with both devices within 2 feet of the router.  Checked through the web interface that I am connected to the router and not the disk.

Its as if the wifi side is connected through a 100Mb/s switch.

Smart Hub 2 with firmware version v0.17.01.12301-BT

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 85 of 113

Totally agree. This router sucks, when you're talking wifi speeds. All the BT blurb in the world will not convince me otherwise. They have a problem, they almost certainly know about it, but have chosen to ignore it for whatever reason.

Everyone on this discussion gets phenomenal wired speeds - whatever connection they have. But wifi speeds are appalling. Even allowing for domestic variances, thick walls, etc. etc. etc. As you said, even standing in front of the router makes no difference. My Smarthub 1 was far faster on wifi, but I cant use the dedicated BT discs with it.

Whole house wifi - Ha Ha, BT you're really having a laugh at your customers expense.

0 Ratings
Player10
Beginner
Message 86 of 113

Glad to see i'm not the only one facing these issues! Been pulling my hair out tweaking all my Wifi settings on my laptop thinking it was my device.

Upgraded my Broadband from 330 Ultra 2 package to the new 900 Full fibre.

Getting amazing speeds via the ethernet (1.1 GBps at times!!)

But WIFI is appaling on the "Smart" Hub 2. Only manage around 150mbps. Before my upgrade i used to get around 300mbps on wifi using a BT Hub 6!

iPhone XS Max is a little better than laptop but only 250mbps where as i used to get 300 on my older package/smart hub but have seen others get around 600mbps

Current firmware on Smart Hub 2 v0.17.01.12301-BT

Seems like a firmware or hardware issue with the Smart Hub 2

0 Ratings
Walthamcity
Contributor
Message 87 of 113

To add a data point. We have FullFibre 500 and a smart hub 2 and complete Wi-Fi. 

Right next to the hub we get Wi-Fi speeds of up to around 430, which I’m very happy with. 

On the complete Wi-Fi Disks we get 200, which I think could be faster. 

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 88 of 113

Wow!

You must be the customer that BT uses as its point of reference. Most people never achieve wifi download speeds anywhere near their LAN speeds

0 Ratings
OllieP
Beginner
Message 89 of 113

How are you even getting speeds like that?!  I’m completely stuck on how to further improve my WiFi with better download and upload speeds and yet I’m unable to get past 6.5Mbps download and a measly 800kbps upload.

I would appreciate any advice anybody can give me on how to improve further. 

0 Ratings
Walthamcity
Contributor
Message 90 of 113

Try changing the channel number. If a neighbour is using the same frequency there’ll be so much noise you’ll get poor transfer rates. 

0 Ratings