Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattkyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 113

Re: Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

I've got 900mb FTTP.

Get around 780-800 wired. Never got above 350 on wifi, tend to sit at around 280-300 on a average.

Appalling really given the speeds you can generate via 802.ac on 5ghz. 

Doesn't matter whether I'm on top of it or top of house. One good thing is that the speed remains stable across my three story new build house with just the hub.

2.4ghz is broken however and with that in mind I shall be testing the smart hub 1 again this week.

0 Ratings
autonm
Beginner
Message 92 of 113

So I am experiencing this as well.

I was on 50 download and 10 upload ... but just upgraded to 150 download and 30 upload (not sure on the package name).

Everyone is mentioning the BT Hub - but I have a TP-LINK Deco Mesh setup - which doesn't use the BT Hub at all and it still shows the same problem that everyone describes.

If I have ethernet cable from the Deco (disc) - I get my full 130-150 download ... if I am just on wifi - I get 40-55 download on average.... so if you take the BT Hub out of the equation and replace it with something else (which I have) - I still get the same problem.

The problem shows on multiple devices - Samsung phone, iPad, MacBook pro. So I know this doesn't fix the problem - but I'm seeing it regardless of which hardware I have plugged in.

0 Ratings
autonm
Beginner
Message 93 of 113

Ok... just further testing.

So I am expecting 100+ download and 30 upload.

Scenarios:

Fttp-> tp link deco m5(mesh) -> wifi ... upload 30, download 50.

Fttp-> bt hub 2 -> wifi.... upload 30, download 50.

Fttp-> bt hub 2 -> ethernet... upload 30, download 130.

Fttp-> bt hub 2 -> ethernet -> tplink deco m5 --> wifi ..... upload 30, download 130.

So only if I have some setup which involved an ethernet from the bt hub... either to my computer or into the deco m5 - then can I get the expected speeds. When doing the wifi tests I am standing right next to the hub in all instances.

No idea why I have to bridge from the bt router to deco m5, for it to work... it works speed wise but because of this I lose some deco m5 functionality 

0 Ratings
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 94 of 113

Did you try changing the Wi-Fi channels? This sounds like what happens when there is interference on the channel

0 Ratings
autonm
Beginner
Message 95 of 113

No I didnt.

But why would bt hub on it's own have wifi issues... deco mesh on it's own have wifi issues, ... but when I daisy chain them together - wifi is fine.

Seperating them out - If I change the channels on Bt hub - that's independent of the deco setup... so why would a channel problem on one setup, cause channel problems on another setup

0 Ratings
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 96 of 113

Whenever I have Wi-Fi issues a channel change is the first thing I try. Usually does the trick (unless the problem is simply too many brick walls to the router). 

0 Ratings
autonm
Beginner
Message 97 of 113

Thanks.
When I'm testing... I'm with 3ft of everything... no walls.
The Deco m5 is meant to be a autonomous system changing channels if needed and when restart ing the system changes channels if needed. I'll try the BT hub again... but I dont want to use the bt hub as this defeats the purpose of the mesh setup.

Just seems odd when I daisy chain ...deco works as expected i.e. broadcasting a full bandwidth - but on it's own (or even the bt hub) on it's own limits the download.
0 Ratings
Kingjed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 98 of 113

Re: Smart Hzub 2 WiFi Speed

Sad thing is, I just had installed FTTP 900, Home hub 2 and my wifi is getting the same speeds as you guys averaging around 100Meg down.  PlayStation only getting 40 meg.

I had homemhub 2 fiber to the cabinet  and had 76 Meg to the router and 70-73 meg on the same WiFi network with the same whole home WiFi disks, only thing different is the speed to router 750 according to BT and the router so the router must be taking off all the bandwidth as nothing more has changed other than the home hub 2 .... please help BT 

0 Ratings
ihassan1
Contributor
Message 99 of 113

Hi,

@Matt-S 

Getting same issue as bernie @Bernie747 and others on Wi

I have BT SH2 ethernet getting Speeds of 79mbps DL and 18mbps UL via FTTC currently. 

Screenshot_20200726_233353.jpg

Over wifi am getting DL 22mbps and always gets UL 18mbps consistently always DL 18mbps everytime but DL is always very low on BT SH2 via WiFi.

I have BT WH aswell on disc I only get 18mbps DL and get 18mbps UP - see told you my UL speeds are always constant.

Hub firmware v0. 17. 01.12312

Am getting FTTP in Aug 2020 as there's a waiting list due to covid-19 pandemic...

Can you help?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
RobFr
Beginner
Message 100 of 113

Very interesting read, apart from no obvious solution, at least it's not just me.

I live on a new build estate and we are all tied to BT at the moment.  I have a wired download speed of 74Mb (which is what I pay for) but lucky to get 43Mb over WiFi.  BT have sent a new replacement Hub 2 but I still have the same problem.  It would appear other people on the estate are getting WiFi close to what they are paying for including someone 2 houses away (we are detached houses). 

I've been speaking to BT and they say the only thing they can think of some form of interference.  I have thought of changing the channels but BT say the Hub2 does that automatically in smart mode and picks the best channel.

I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment.

0 Ratings