cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
classicalguitardave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 62

Re: Smart Hub 2 WiFi Speed

I have just had the ultrafast fibre to the house installed and when I plug into the hub I can get a consistent 300mbps.  Wireless connection is rather less impressive - an occasional 100mbps if lucky (a powerful windows laptop, a ps4 wired into one of the discs that came with the hub, a macbook pro, an imac and two iphone 5s) all average about 40 -60 mbps over wifi.  This feels like I'm getting 1/3 of the power of my fibre - pointless really.  I have another disc on the way and will get my third one when that arrives but I think the wifi problem stems from the hub itself.  It's rather disappointing and very frustrating....I hope BT find a fix to unlock the wifi bottleneck.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 62

With Wifi, you are sharing the channel with other users on the same channel. Only one can be active on the channel at a time, which will impact on the throughput.

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 33 of 62

Welcome to the club!!!!

It would seem that BT have a problem with their latest SmartHub (I think they call it SmartHub 2). Most complainants have great wired download speeds, but radically slow Wi-Fi. With FTTC I had decent speeds with wired and about a 10% reduction over WiFi. With my FTTP I get really good wired speeds (140mbps) but I’m lucky to get 50% of that over WiFi. 

0 Ratings
classicalguitardave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 62

There are only two of us in the house and I have tried each device on its own with the same result.  I had thought that if only one device was on the wifi then that device would get the whole available bandwidth, rather than my hub deciding that it will keep some in hand just in case other devices decide to log on.  I can understand that two or three devices can't all get 300mbps at the same time, but at least half that maybe?  I've had 100mbps at 6:30 this morning and no other time, always under 100.  Just seems like I'm not getting the bandwidth that is available, therefore not getting the full benefit of such a fast fibre connection.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 62

I mean other users on that wireless channel, not just the ones in your house.

There will be plenty of neighbours with wireless routers on the same channel that you are using. This may get worse during the day, as more people connect that same channel, that will result in a lower speed.

Even if the nearby signal is weaker, it will still cause errors on the wireless link causing re-transmissions, and slow your connection down.

Its always best to make a direct Ethernet connection to the home hub, if you want maximum speed. Once you introduce any form of wireless link in the chain, you are going to get reduced performance.

0 Ratings
classicalguitardave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 62

Ah - I get what you're saying Keith.  Now that would explain the faster speed in the morning but even then (when I know my neighbours are not online) it was still only 1/3 the available - and that was standing next to the router with my laptop, no more that 3 feet away.  As we are quite rural my nearest neighbour is well over 200 feet away, across a small stream, and my windows are double glazed.  I understand there is a lot of 'noise' in the air to interfere with wifi but at point blank range I would have hoped for more than 100 of an available 300mbps over wifi?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 62

There are many other devices that use wireless channels, not just home wireless routers.

Video senders and baby alarms are just a few, and they will not show up on a normal wireless utility. You have to use a spectrum analyzer. Basic ones use a wideband SDR (Software Defined Radio)  in conjunction with special software, which will allow you to see all of the "noise" within the wireless spectrum.

As far as the Smart Hub is concerned. BT have published a document  showing the results of tests that have been performed. It was posted by one of the BT device experts. I will try and find the post for you, unless someone can remember where it was.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 62

Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 39 of 62

Keith, thanks for that.

I'm not super techy, but could see and partly comprehend most of the comparison results.

Which makes me confused by the SmartHub 1 versus SmartHub 2 comparisons. Their results are very similar, mine are not.

I was sent a SmartHub 1 by BT when I complained about my SmartHub 2 WiFi speeds.

Just before installing it I got a WiFi download speed on SmartHub 2 of about 57mbps. I then immediately installed the replacement SmartHub 1 and straightaway  I was getting WiFi download speeds around 110mbps. I swapped back to the SmartHub 2 within 10 minutes of that; and was back to 50something mbps. 

I've done this several times, over a period of days. The results are always very similar. But not being a technical wizard, I don't understand why.

This surely can't be caused by channels being shared by neighbours. I don't know if it's relevant, but I can't "see" any of my neighbours wifi on a phone or iPad. Their house is a fair distance from mine, and we both have old fashioned 1920's solid brick walls.

I'm just another BT customer who is paying substantially more money for the FTTP service, but getting substantially less.

Like others on this discussion, I feel I'd be better off with my old FTTC setup. Where my Wi-Fi download speed was near as dammit as good as the Ethernet connection I have to an iMac. 80 v 70mbps.

classicalguitardave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 62

Thanks for that Keith, it's an interesting read for a geek like me!  It does however leave me with serious concerns as to whether I have a duff SmartHub2.  I am not getting anywhere near those speeds with my dual band monster gaming laptop a mere 3 feet from the hub - let alone just on the same floor.  My house is less than 20 years old so no 3foot thick walls to blame the wifi drop off on.  Nothing but farmers fields on 3 sides of the house and my neighbours all have grown kids so no baby monitors and the like (no security cameras either).  I have achieved 100mbps once.  Wired speeds of 300mbps.  The figures in that document make me jealous - They got higher speeds than I can upstairs on the edge of the range.  I was standing right next to it, with a dual band wireless card and only 100 once.

I have noticed on the hubs homepage that none of my devices choose the 5ghz band.  I have a wireless analyser on the laptop for my killer atheros card that tells my the 2.4 and 5ghz bands are at 100% in the room with the hub,  but never does a device choose to use the 5GHz.

In light of that test document I am beginning to think there is a batch of faulty Smart Hub 2s and I and a few of the folks in this thread got some of them.