cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicolasHaynes
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Smart Hub 2 Wifi broadcast does not cease when it is disabled.

Go to solution

Hi,

I have been sent a new Smart Hub 2 because the region's network is switching over to Fibre, and our existing Home Hub 4 is allegedly incompatible (it's still copper cable from the house to the street.) I installed the new hub, and logged into its setup menus via a direct ethernet cable from my iMac, using a browser to load the Hub's local IPAddress, in order to turn off and completely disable the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi broadcast. So far so good. Having done that, I then checked with my RF meter to make sure the broadcast of 2.4 and 5GHz microwaves had actually stopped. It hadn't. As an EMF sensitive individual, it is not acceptable for me that the WIFI continues to broadcast when I have explicitly turned it off in every available sub menu of the setup pages. I went back several times to make sure all the menus did say disabled. I don't need the WIFI because I want to plug direct from computer to the hub using ethernet cable - a setup that works with my Home Hub 4. 

I raised a complaint 10 days ago to BT, but they never got back to me. The BT online support chat is closed. So I have no recourse except to ask the community here to do BT's job for them, unfortunately, so you are the heroes.  Do any insiders here have any solid facts about why this does not work? Has anyone done the same and actually checked if their hub radiates still, rather than assume it is now turned off?  I have seen rumours that only BT themselves can remotely turn off the WIFI in my hub, and it can take up to a month to do it, but that seems totally absurd, like having a power switch on your TV that only the BBC can control! Is that true? As an engineer, I have exhausted all possibilities of this being my error, or not knowing how to navigate the menus. The Smart Hub 2 menus are much better than the Home Hub 4, so they were much easier to navigate. My expectation as a customer is that when I turn off the WIFI in the hub, it turns off, as simple as that. It didn't, and continues to radiate what I consider dangerous levels of radiation. If I can gather evidence that what I did *should* have worked, then maybe the new hub is actually faulty. If on the other hand this is expected behaviour, then I need a workaround, because this situation is not acceptable. 

In appreciation for any technical help!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Smart Hub 2 Wifi broadcast does not cease when it is disabled.

Go to solution

The hub will still continue to emit Btwifi with Fon signal as you agreed to in your terms and conditions. This allows you to access WiFi whilst out and about and why it takes time to disable the signal on your own hub as it is a network facility. It can take up to 28 days for the signal to be turned off. It would have been exactly the same with your previous hub.

The 100 per cent certain way of not transmitting the signal is to use a third party router.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

NicolasHaynes
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Excellent reply Licourice - The penny has dropped, finally. Thank you!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
0 Ratings