cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virt88
Message 1 of 5

Smart Hub 2 Wireless Throughput

Hi All,

Recently upgraded FTTP to ~150mbps and also received a new hub (Smart Hub 2).

Having ran various tests, i'm surprised that the new Smart Hub 2 is only clocking up about 70mbps via speedtest on my PC wirelessly on the AC/5GHz channel.

If I plug the old HH5 in, it actually exceeds 150mbps wirelessly!

It's almost as if the Smart Hub 2 is restricting the throughput speed because i've tried this on various different machines - some which have inbuilt wireless (laptop), mine has a PCIE wireless card and another has a USB wireless card. 

Any suggestions? I'm happy to keep the HH5 plugged in to be honest, just wondered if I am the only one!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart Hub 2 Wireless Throughput

Welcome to this user forum.

How do Ethernet connections differ between the hubs, as it could just be that the Smart Hub 2 is just slower overall?

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

How do you know if you're actually using the 5GHz channel rather than the 2.4GHz channel ?  The SmartHub 2 doesn't let you split the SSIDs so hard to tell from the client exactly how you're connected.

virt88
Message 4 of 5

The router itself has a little chart that shows my desktop connected on 5GHz Smiley Happy

I've ran a desktop application (forgotten the name!) to check channels and they aren't conflicting with neighbours setups and it does appear that the Smart Hub has a stronger signal than the HH5. It just feels that the router is capping the bandwidth itself 😞

0 Ratings
virt88
Message 5 of 5

Thanks! 🙂

I will try direct ethernet comparisons this evening - but I have a 100mbps powerline which was giving about 90mbps using the SH2 last night.

Will let you know! Cheers
0 Ratings