cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmcflyer
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub 2 and Ubiquiti home network issues

Previously had a BT Hub 4 and Ubiquiti home network ( Cloud Key and 5 APs).  Upgraded to the UCK Gen 2 and all still fine.  Then sent a BT Smart Hub 2 which has caused all sorts of issues since installation. 

initially worked fine and then after a few hours it dropped the home network.  Restarted the Smart Hub and all fine for 6 hours then same problem again.  The Ubiquiti controller is showing 941 DHCP timeout/failures and this is after I turned off the connectivity monitor in the controller (Ubiquiti advise this is disabled). Now also showing 17 WPA Authentication Timeout/Failures.  Controller and APs all using latest firmware.  

welcome advice and if I should consign the Smart Hub 2 to the bin and go with a DrayTek modem and Ubiquiti Security Gateway. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
mvad
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub 2 and Ubiquiti home network issues

Sorry unable to offer help at this point, but I am exploring a similar set up to yourself.  Did you find a solution to the issue?

I will be moving to BT Full Fibre soon and looking to have a set up similar to yours. BT Smart Hub 2 with Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro (UAP-AC-PRO) as the WAP.

Questions I have are:

1. Does the BT Smart Hub 2 support POE?

2. Does anyone else have this set up working?  I would like to know if they encountered any issues and if they needed any special config of either the Smart Hub 2 or the WAP.

Thanks,

0 Ratings
jmcflyer
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi mvad

all sorted thanks.

so I waited until the Fibre broadband was up and running and then re-set all the access points back to factory default setting.  Adopted all the access points through the Gen 2 cloud controller (so easy to do via the app on an iPhone or iPad). Set up a new local WiFi network and then linked to clients (PCs, iPad, phones, light switches) one by one to check resilience.  All have worked fine.  The Ubiquiti system is excellent and the new Cloud Key Gen 2 is so much better than the old cloud controller. 

I have an unmanaged PoE switch so I run a patch cable from the Smart Hub into the PoE switch and from there to all the access points.

A further patch cable from the Smart Hub then goes to the patch panels which supply data points all over the house.  I prefer to have TVs, BT Player etc connected via Ethernet rather than wifi.

So I’d wait until BT confirm your Fibre broadband is up and running and stable before then configuring your Ubiquiti home network. 

mvad
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

H jmcflyer,

great advise there, much appreciated.

I think I may now go for the cloud controller (also after watching a few videos on this subject).

Out of interest, which switch do you use for PoE?

Thanks,

0 Ratings
jmcflyer
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I used an LB-LINK 8 port 10/100Mb PoE switch.  Around about £70. Had no problems with it and 18 months in% 

mvad
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks again jmcflyer,

This is the first time i'm setting anything like this up, so have another question, if i may.

Once the Unifi Access Points have been set up and transmitting WiFi, do you need to switch Wifi off on the Smart Hub 2?

If so, is this easy to do?

If not, do you still see the Smart hub as a Wifi Source?

Thanks,   

0 Ratings
jmcflyer
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi

i’ve just left the Smart Hub WiFi working.  You can see the Hub when you look for available networks but I  ignore it.  You’ll have set up a WiFi network (name and password through the cloud key app so just select that when linking clients. It doesn’t seem to have affected the Ubiquiti network so I’ve left well alone.  If anyone else reading this thinks the Hub should have the WiFi switched off then it would be good to hear the reasoning for this.