Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JazzFM28
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub 2 and Whole Home Discs

Go to solution

I’ve just taken delivery of the new Smart Hub 2 and trying to get them to connect the White Whole Home discs.

despite following instructions and using MyBT app, I cannot get the first disc to connect to the smart hub 2 without a cable.  Connects with a cable and blue light comes on, but won’t connect if you disconnect cable.

looking on one post on here, a BT technical help guy says that the systems are incompatible, but it says on BT pages that the whole home discs are compatible with all BT routers.

can BT confirm if the smart hub 2 is compatible, making use of the router as the first disc in a network, with whole home white discs.  If not, why not, as it seems a major flaw to not make the systems compatible.

if they are not compatible, how do you claim the additional discs to make good on BTs guarantee of a strong signal.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub 2 and Whole Home Discs

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The BT device experts have already said the two systems are incompatible. You should be able to connect the black disk to the smart Hub 2.

The extra disks refer to the black disks not the white ones.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@JazzFM28 There are two products, Complete wifi and the Whole Home wifi.  Complete wifi is an aditional disc that you get when you take out the BT Plus service with complete wifi these are black and connect wirelessly to the Smart Hub 2 and this product comes with the stong wifi signal gurantee.  Check out this link for more info on the Complete wifi service.

The Whole home wifi discs don't work in the same way as the complete wifi product but the service will still work as intended by connecting the first disc to your router with an ethernet cable. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Not sure I understand this quite right.  Today I have BT Whole Home installed 5 disc's yes 5!  BT hub 5 Wif Disabled. So One SSID in use by Wholehome.  All is good.   Today I will be receiving my Smart Hub 2 + one black disc.  Therefore can I switch out the existing router replace with the Smart Hub 2, get this to join the existing Whole Home network, add the new black disc to the existing Wholehome network.   Or is it, forget the 5 Whole Home disc's and replace with the Black ones keep asking BT for more black ones until I get complete coverage.  Sell the While disc's on eBay?  Help much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

You can't mix the 2 systems, they work differently. If you already have BT Whole Home with 5 discs why are you even contemplating changing systems?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks a good question 🙂 Shiny new technology expectation of fast Wifi access and reduce number or discs in house.  Sounds like just the router swap and keep existing disc's.  Or move to new black ones and sell the white ones. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Don't make the mistake of thinking that newer=better!!

0 Ratings
nicp01
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Wifi can be flakey..  I have HH5 and 3 wholehome disks...Half the house is old with 2ft thick stone walls...the first disk connects by cable to the router in the back room..the second disk  is 5m away in the kitchen on the other side of the wall, cant move it any further away..the 3rd disk is on the landing above,  the proposed 4th disk will be in the front room in the new bit of the house and a proposed 5th disk in another room..    Yesterday 2x10m RJ45 cables came and i shall bite the bullet and drill thru the intervening walls and put a switch in for the front room tv set up to replace the powerline system (also flakey) ..   Apart from a few hiccups and no signal in some areas theyve been fine but I only run ipads,laptops and PCs and iphones over them, wouldnt dream of running a tv or media over wifi... 

Will smart hub 2 and the wifi system be any better?? 

How come my BT 5 phone cordless set works all over and outside down the garden?

0 Ratings