Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
p_d_hodgson
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: Smart Hub 2 as a Modem

Hi Damien,

Thanks for your post on the setup, I have virtually the same requirement (late to the game!), using the Smart Hub 2 as a modem connected to Mesh WiFi. The question that I have is in relation to the open comment at the end of your post: "It's not perfect. I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen with UPnP stuff, I may face some issues with that as well as Dynamic DNS services. May have to play around a bit more. But it is a workaround the connection works perfectly and enables me to continue using my own equipment while there aren't any G.Fast modems on the market.".

I have a Synology NAS that uses Dynamic DNS for access from the www, and am concerned about UPnP, did you end up with any problems with this? Or did you end up going for a new modem? Or (another option) is to get sucked more into the BT world buying their discs and dumping the Mesh that I have bought!

Many thanks in advance, Paul

0 Ratings
AceDropshot
Beginner
Message 12 of 17

Thanks for this info Damien. Has you set-up been reliable?

I have recently joined BT Broadband. I'm using a TP-Link Archer AX11000 Router. BT online help sent me this link to set-up the Smart Hub to Bridge/Modem Mode:

https://thomascoward.co.uk/networks/using-bt-smart-hub-asus-rt-ac68u-router/#comment-788

It seems to have worked but I'm experiencing some unusual behaviour. Some webpages such as Gmail, Google Drive load very quickly. Others are slow or hang for ages. Others have no images or are distorted with some html showing. I've also had connection issues to things such as Microsoft OneDrive Vault or to content streaming services where they act like I am not registered or have no connection. After several attempts they work. Running a speed test on my TP-Link and the speeds are good. Speed tests from my devices often can't connect but if they do the speed is good.

I noticed the settings in the link I used, miss out 2 stages that you did:

6) Add port forwarding rule on the Smart Hub 2 called ANY-ANY, from ports 1 through to 65535, TCP/UDP, to the address of my own firewall/router (192.168.101.2).

9) Setup WAN port on my firewall/router with a static IP of 192.168.101.2, subnet 255.255.255.252 and default gatway 192.168.101.1 (the Smart Hub 2).

What is the additional function of these stages and do you think my issues could be related to them?

Thanks

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

The Smart Hub 2 doesn't have a modem only (bridge) mode. What the procedure is doing is just a method of connecting  bodging two routers together.

The port forwarding rule overcomes having to define rules in both routers as you are double natting. It just forwards ALL ports and leaves the real port forwarding to be performed on the second router.

The link you used, leaves DHCP on the Hub thus the second router WAN gets its IP address from the hub. The alternative is to give the second router a static IP address and turn off DHCP on the Hub.

AceDropshot
Beginner
Message 14 of 17

Thank you @licquorice ! I'm beginning to understand this 'bodge', but it's less a bodge than the link I sent. I think the double natting is the source of disruption, and I think the port forwarding can resolve it.

From your explanation, I now understand I will have to change the subnet on my Hub. My router kit is IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0 (default). The port forwarding is fairly clear to me but I don't understand enough about subnet division. Could you help me out with your "step 4" ? What would you suggest I set the IP address and Subnet mask to on the Hub? These are presently 192.168.101.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. 

Martin

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

It's not my step 4, it's @@damienbutt 's. However, all you need to do is leave the hub address range as default and then give the second router wan port an address of 192.168.1 .10 and gateway address 192.168.1.254 the address range of the second router you can leave at 192.168.0.xx

AceDropshot
Beginner
Message 16 of 17

Thanks. I was able to establish the connection but it was still double natting. I've since swapped out the Smart Hub with a Vigor Draytek 130 that is a pure modem and it appears to have resolved most of the issues. I just have one outstanding issue that works VPN is not connecting but requires separate investigation.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

Of course it was double natting, you were using 2 routers, it couldn't do anything else. A standalone modem is definitely the right way to go.