Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bundy21
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub 2 compatibility with netgear Ethernet switch

Hi

Recently upgraded to BT FTTP and smart hub 2.

The house is wired up with CAT 5e or better so have an unmanaged 8 port Ethernet switch to distribute.

The router is working perfectly for wifi.

The router will send data to the switch but does not flow through it.

The Ethernet ports on the back of the router work if something is plugged directly into them.

I have spoken to the tech helpline and gone through various fixes with them but will not work still.

I have tried 3 brand new unmanaged switches  with the same result.

So in short, data flows out of the router but gets stopped at the switch.

Any ideas what could be stopping it?

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Will168
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub 2 compatibility with netgear Ethernet switch

I don't see any reason why it should not work. In fact, I used a Netgear GS108 switch for a few weeks on my SmartHub 2 until changing it for a GS116. Both work fine.

There are not many user changeable settings on the SmartHub2 when it comes to the LAN, so there's not really anything I can think of that you are doing wrong. You can see my settings below, if it helps.

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to provide more ideas. I just wanted to let you know that I use Netgear unmanaged switches and they do seem to work fine, so it shouldn't be a general issue.

Will168_0-1618563265355.png

0 Ratings
Bundy21
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the reply.

My settings are exactly the same.

The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a new smart hub 2. 
I can’t see any reason why it would make a difference if the ports are working on the current one but it’s the only part of the chain I haven’t swapped out yet.

BT suggested there may be an issue with the smart hub 2 and the switch.  They couldn’t be specific. They thought that using an old router may help.

It’s incredibly frustrating!

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

While im sure you have already checked this i run two 8 port switches and when one failed it turned out the network cable had been damaged during a recent redecoration (the cable runs along the skirting board and when putting the wall unit back in place it had snagged somehow and pinched)

Replaced the cable and everything worked fine again

Does the switch have any kind of status light on it? (power, uplink speed, ect)

0 Ratings
Bundy21
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for the reply.

The cable I am using currently is brand new and has not been properly installed yet as the set up is not working.

The cable from the modem to router is good - I am getting full speed via wifi. 

The cable to the switch is new also and I have tried a couple of new cables too.

This has me stumped.

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Same, in my experience switches are plug and play so i honestly don't know what else to say as a suggestion.

0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

I have FTTP, a netgear switch and a TP-Link one and it's been working for a couple of years or more with no problem.

A couple of things you might want to try if you haven't already.

If the Smart Hub 2 is BT's best hub yet then what does that say about its predecessors ?
0 Ratings
Keniffsims
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hi, did you get this sorted in the end? I have a similar issue but with the switch it’s on random ports they come to life then drop off again! I’m hoping to get hold of a new router to try 

0 Ratings