cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Smart Hub 2 connected devices

Go to solution

I have a smart hub 2 and have recently been trying to figure out all the different devices connected to it or that have been connected to it. Very confusing, partly because I also use 2 TP-link adapters and a TP-link extender. What I have just concluded is that there are some devices connected to my BT network which are not my own (probably neighbours). Strangely, they seem to appear in the Hub as "Port 1" and "(Static)" devices, even though I know they must be connected to the Wifi.

I would like to be able to easily identify my own devices so that I can clarify descriptions and see how they are connected etc and be able to easily identify devices which are not mine and are connected using BT wifi sharing.

I know I can just opt out of the wifi sharing, but thought I would ask first whether there is an easy way of identifying BT wifi sharing service devices in the Smart Hub 2.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Smart Hub 2 connected devices

Go to solution

Devices connected by  BTwifi sharing service do not appear in your hub network map. It is a completely separate network and is not visible in the hub.

Bear in mind any devices connected by wifi via powerline extenders will show as connected to the Ethernet port the extender is plugged into because that is where they connect to the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for a quick reply.  If wifi sharing devices are allegedly not reported then I remain baffled, because there are definitely devices I don't recognise as belonging to me showing as connected, though it is of course helpful to know devices connected by wifi via powerline extenders will show as connected to the Ethernet port the extender is plugged into.  I am also baffled that the devices showing as connected in My devices does not seem to be consistent with what shows as connected in the Address table.

I have been making a note of device MAC addresses as the basis for accurately identifying what is connected to the Network.  Can you expand and clarify a little your explanation that devices connected by wifi via powerline extenders will show as connected to the Ethernet port the extender is plugged into please?

To take an example.  Say I have a desktop PC which is using a powerline wifi extender.  The desktop PC has a MAC address, the desktop PC wireless LAN card has a MAC address, the extender wireless has a MAC address and the powerline adapter that is ultimately connected by ethernet to the BT Smart hub router has a MAC address. 

On my hub, the desktop PC wireless LAN MAC address and/or desktop PC ethernet MAC address are reported and not the MAC address of the powerline adapter that is ultimately connected by ethernet to the BT Smart hub router.  On the other hand, if the desktop PC is connected using the wireless from the extender, the MAC address of the PC wireless network card is reported rather than the MAC address of the extender.

I remain baffled about what is reported, but thanks for your help and comments.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Are you running any iOS14 devices?

If so, see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Basically the hub network map is a mess and really can't be relied upon. Powerline adaptors themselves don't appear in the map, just the end connected devices in my experience.

Might be worth a factory reset of the hub to clear everything out.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks for the heads up. We are not generally iOS users. We do have one iPad mini in the house which is iOS12 and is reported by the Hub with the MAC address of the device.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks.  It is very helpful to have an experienced user's opinion that "Basically the hub network map is a mess and really can't be relied upon."  I will stop trying to make sense of it!

I am going to follow your suggestion to factory reset and start again.  Despite your comment about any wifi sharing not being reported by the router, I also want to turn off wifi sharing but can't find where to do that because the instructions I find in BT's support page* don't seem to match what I am looking at when I am logged into my BT with My BT ID:-

If you have a BT ID:

To opt out, follow the steps below:

1. Log into My BT >
  2. Choose Your package and then Inclusive extras
  3. Scroll down to BT Wi-fi and click on Manage BT Wifi
  4. Scroll down and click on the Opt out of BT Wi-fi drop-down, and then the Opt out of BT Wi-fi button

Remember, if you ever want to opt back in, it's easy: just log into My BT.

I have Your products, Broadband and then links that seem to be aimed at selling upgrades.  Nothing about Inclusive extras or BT Wi-fi.  I think your comment about the hub network map being a mess and can't be relied upon can be applied to whole of the BT customer website.

Thanks again for your help and comments.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
  1. Log into My BT >
  2. Choose Your Products 
  3. Scroll down to BT Wi-fi and click on Learn More
  4. Scroll down and click on the Opt out of BT Wi-fi button
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@shaz_j 

Message 7 is just one example of what's wrong with the BT website.

As you can see, the poster has tried to follow the Help page to resolve the problem but the help page is out of date and doesn't help at all. You can also see in message 8 that I have corrected the help page advice and re-posted it

Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Hey @Anonymous,

Thank you for flagging to me.  I'll get this updated with the relevant team.

We do try our best to keep the content as accurate as possible and I can only apologise that this has fallen through the cracks. We will continue to improve our processes to ensure this is not the case moving forward.