cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub 2 drops connection to wired LAN

Go to solution

BT recently advised I would be getting Digital Voice and that I need to replace my existing Smart Hub with a Smart Hub 2. I did as instructed but immediately I began to have problems with the connection to devices in my office, which are connected to the hub via an access point and an ethernet cable.

When the problem occurs, the hub logs 'Wire Lan Port 3 down, Speed 10Mbps'. A short while later the connection is resumed. This happens every 5 minutes or so. I contacted BT and they sent a replacement hub. This does the same thing. When I put my old hub (BT Hub 6A) back on there is no problem with the connection. Full speed is resumed.

Can anyone please advise on the following:

1. Is there a fix for this problem?

2. Can I refuse Digital Voice and stick with my current hub and not spend any more time on this?

Many thanks for your help

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub 2 drops connection to wired LAN

Go to solution

You can refuse digital voice but you risk your phone line no longer working. Openreach are shutting down the copper phone line service. This appears to be happening area by area and will be completed in 2025.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@njwilson 

Its possible that the smart hub 2 does not like the Ethernet cable connected to it, perhaps its too long, or is not a fully wired cable suitable for 1Gbs, or incorrectly wired, especially as it only connected at 10Mbs, which is the lowest negotiable rate.

You may  be able to overcome the problem by interposing an Ethernet switch between the LAN port on the SH2, and your Ethernet cable run, as that will act as a buffer between the SH2 and the cable.

Your existing smart hub will have different hardware which may be able to cope with a long Ethernet cable, without dropping in the link.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

when you connected the SH2 did you remember to turn off smart setup?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Yes, I did switch off smart setup. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
It is a long cable (~40m) so this sounds like a plausible explanation. As you say, perhaps the earlier Smart Hub is able to cope with the long cable where the latter is not. I will try out your suggestion of a switch. Many thanks for the rapid feedback everyone.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

The only long cable my smart hub 2 is pleased to work with is my btvision. Don’t like my cctv or worse the powerline adaptors. When I take out these then my connection is a breeze. Put any of the said cables back in. I get a no internet connection to all devices. 

0 Ratings