cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elektrobomb
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Smart Hub 2 losing Port Forwarding after a few hours?

I'm at my wits end with this and am hoping someone can help, we just got a new Smarthub 2 and it's working beautifully in every respect except that I have a few network security cameras which need to be port forwarded through the router so we can access them externally.  I can port forward them fine but after a few hours the ports close and everything stops working (externally, they still work fine internally).  If I reboot the router it works fine again for a while til it falls over again.  Also when this happens the WAN IP address is the same as before, checked cause I suspected my DynDns might be broken but it's fine.  

I've tried changing the cameras from static to dhcp, port forwarding by MAC and IP address, changing the ip adress, resetting the router and doing it all again.  Nothing has worked.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
jomo7
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Smart Hub 2 losing Port Forwarding after a few hours?

I have exactly the same problem and BT won't help.  Looking forward to hearing from you too!

0 Ratings
Elektrobomb
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Yay! Solidarity!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Ditch the hub and get a proper router.

0 Ratings
Elektrobomb
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

The reason we got this hub is cause every homehub and modem we've tried gets spotty connection and with this one you can get BT to do guaranteed uptime with 4g.  Also, quite frankly i'm tired of our network falling over and it being my problem.  I figure at least this way it's 100% BTs kit and fault.

0 Ratings
jomo7
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Which router would you recommend? 

I'm having terrible problems connecting with my NAS drive (which wasn't a pronblem on my rutal line of sight 'broadband') and BT provide zero support.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Only you can decide what features are important and thus which device to go for.  Bear in mind the biggest governing factor in router prices is wifi speed, however, unless you use wifi to stream from a NAS or transfer huge volumes of data within your LAN, your broadband sync speed will be the governing factor so fast wifi wouldn't be important. Just make sure it is a VDSL modem/router if you are on Infinity/Superfast Fibre.

Prices range from under £30 to over £200

0 Ratings
Elektrobomb
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

true, but port forwarding should work on this router. We were running a Netgear R7000 before but as I said we had reliability problems with both that and the old Homehub5. This router was meant to be our performance / reliability / feature compromise and it's stupid that the one extra feature that we do need is non-functional due to what i'm assuming is a software bug.
0 Ratings
jomo7
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

I completely agree.  I see that there have been issues with prt forwarding since at least 2016 on the forum - unfortunately the link to the screen shot fix has been lost.  Can anyone help, my problem is connecting to a NAS drive.

0 Ratings