cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Smart Hub 2, no guest network, help please

Go to solution

Hi, understand that the smart hub doesn't have an option for a guest network, which I really miss.

So I've been searching and there seems to be an idea that adding a complete wifi black disc, would allow you to setup a guest option.

I've installed the BT whole home WiFi app on my mobile. But it won't let me explore options without adding a disc first.

Interestingly it asks which disc pack you have, and the minimum is a 2 disc pack?  I only planned to buy one...

So any advice or experiences would be really appreciated 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Smart Hub 2, no guest network, help please

Go to solution

You're mixing the discs up.

The black discs are Complete Wi-Fi Discs and are configured from the MY BT app and have no facility for a guest network.

The BT Wholehome Wi-Fi app is for the white discs.

Hence the Wholehome app is reporting that it can't find any discs because there are no compatible ones there to be found

Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Ok thanks,

Maybe another option would be to buy a wired wireless access point, with a guest network facility?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Why is a guest network so important? Don't you trust your guests?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

You would not get total isolation on a wireless access point with guest isolation. Guests would still be able to access your LAN via the home hub.

Some modem/router combinations with a guest network, do provide isolation within NAT, and guests are assigned a separate IP subnet.  Its similar to the free Wi-Fi provided by some retailers, where their own internal network is isolated from the free guest network.

To achieve full isolation on a home network, is quite involved. But it can be done using a managed network switch which supports VLANs.

If you just want to provide a separate wireless access point for guests, then that is easy, just assign a different SSID and password, but bear in mind  they can access any unprotected network shares. 

Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Many thanks
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
Here's a scenario, bloke arrives to fit new dishwasher. He wants to use my wifi on his phone (the mobile coverage in my home is very poor) so I give him my wifi password.

Later, parked up outside my house, he uses my wifi to download the worst kind of illegal stuff.

Guess who gets their door knocked at 5AM and all their kit confiscated.

That's why you need a guest wi-fi network and BT not having it on their most numerous router is **bleep**.
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@gavin7 

I can't understand why you would give your wireless password to a complete stranger who is fixing an appliance knowing that will give access to your complete network.  And then having made that mistake why you then didn't immediately change the wireless password to avoid any problems you highlight

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@gavin7 wrote:
Here's a scenario, bloke arrives to fit new dishwasher. He wants to use my wifi on his phone (the mobile coverage in my home is very poor) so I give him my wifi password.

Any sensible person would temporarily change the password first and then revert.

Later, parked up outside my house, he uses my wifi to download the worst kind of illegal stuff.
Yeah, like thousands of tradesmen do that

That's why you need a guest wi-fi network and BT not having it on their most numerous router is **bleep**.

If you say so

Oh, and by the way, they would still come knocking on your door guest wifi or main wifi, its still your responsibility.

Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@gavin7 wrote:

Along with above information and folly of allowing an unknow person to use your network, as has been pointed out, even if you have a guest network, in the event of the scenario that you have posted, the authorities would still come to your home. The guest network is still your responsibility because it is emanating from your broadband.

If it was that simple to avoid detection for illegal activity do you not think that any person wishing to do illegal stuff  would just need to set up a guest network in their own property and surf away rather than using a VPN, TOR browser or the plethora of other ways they use to avoid detection.