cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Smart Hub 2 set up questions

So I am upgrading from  fibre  2 to fibre 100, i just got my email that my smart hub 2 and fibre disks are on the way.

My current set up is i already have a open reach wall socket installed, and i connect the open reach white modem to it. I then run a 30 metre Ethernet cable to to my room which connects to my smart hub. From there i connect my PC, BT TV and PS4 to my smart hub all via Ethernet.

My question is i know smart hub 2 has a modem so does that mean you will no longer use then open reach modem and the smart hub 2 connects directly to the wall socket?

For my set up that would not be ideal as that would mean running multiple 30 metre Ethernet cables up to my room as i do not like gaming over wireless.

Would i still be able to have the same set up i have now just replacing the smart hub with the smart hub 2 in it's place?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Smart Hub 2 set up questions

Are you getting Full fibre (FTTP) or G.Fast. If full fibre, the fibre ONT will replace the White Openreach modem and you can leave things as they are. If G.Fast, the white modem won't work and you will need to connect the SH2 to line. Why not just connect the Ethernet lead from the hub to a 4 or 8 port Ethernet switch. You *don't* need separate cables for each device.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I have no idea the difference between FTTP and G.Fast so not sure what im getting
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

smarthub1.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Ok, that would indicate that you are getting G.Fast which means that your current arrangement won't work.

The simplest solution is, as I have already indicated, to simply replace the Openreach modem with the new hub and replace the current hub with an Ethernet switch. You will then only require the one Ethernet lead that you have currently.

If you only need Ethernet connections to 3 devices, you could actually re-purpose your existing hub as an Ethernet switch. Give the old hub an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the new hub (e.g 192.168.1.20) disable DHCP on the old hub and connect the hubs together LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

How does the switch work if i want to set up each device differently if they all originate from the same Ethernet port?

Could another option be instead of running a Ethernet cable to up my room running a long broadband cable instead and still having the smart hub upstairs?

If so would that effect the connection?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@BrickSmith wrote:

How does the switch work if i want to set up each device differently if they all originate from the same Ethernet port?

In the same way that the 4 Ethernet ports on your router work from one WAN input. Ethernet frames contain the MAC address of the destination device. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg1005d/

is about £12 from Amazon.

Could another option be instead of running a Ethernet cable to up my room running a long broadband cable instead and still having the smart hub upstairs?

Yes, you could do that.

If so would that effect the connection?

If you run a cable from the data extension terminals of the NTE (master socket) it shouldn't affect the speed too much. You won't know until you try it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Ok thank you for all your help, i appreciate it.

0 Ratings