cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub 2 won't work properly with Epson printer

I have recently moved from Virgin Media to BT. I am very happy with the broadband speed I am getting, but have a strange problem with my Epson Expression XP-452 printer/scanner.

On the VM Superhub the printer and scanner worked perfectly. When I set it up on the SM2 the scanner refuses to communicate properly with my laptop and just locks up with an error E583-B318 (or B319). The printer prints OK and I can do a scan to copy. Epson Help have suggested many options, mostly involving the reinstallation of the drivers etc. but nothing has worked.

This morning, I reconnected the VM router (I still have access) and lo and behold, the printer and scanner worked perfectly. Putting back the BT router, scanner won't work.

I have tried stopping 5GHz wireless (the printer is 2.4GHz only), setting the wireless channel to 11 (non-Smart) and changing the Mode to 3, but nothing has made a difference.

I attach a couple of screen grabs from the Smart Hub 2 settings pages.

Please can anyone help?

BT Smart Hub 2 - 2.jpgBT Smart Hub 2 - 1.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub 2 won't work properly with Epson printer

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

if you printer readily connects to the virgin hub then I would reset the printer and then start from beginning using printer and search available networks the connect to your hub SSID then when you try and connect it will ask for password  enter wifi password and connect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply.
I've been through all that. It's not that the printer can't find the BT router - it does. It prints anything sent from the laptop. It just won't scan and save to the laptop. Scanning is done via a utility called Epson Scan 2. When I attempt to scan, the scanning head moves across the document but around 3/4 of the way on the progress bar, the scan stops with the error code. The printer is then locked up, still showing 'Scanning...' on its display and has to be switched off.
I've been through the process of completely uninstalling the printer and reinstalling from scratch, but nothing makes any difference.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I have a similar printer you and after installing with the installation CD the printing and scannning worked without a problem. Did you get a CD with your printer?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yes. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
No amount of reinstalling ever makes any difference. Epson Help have supplied me with several, slightly different install packages to try and sort this, but nothing works. I've even tried switching off wi-fi on the printer and connecting by USB - it prints OK but Epson Scan 2 won't even run, displaying a communication error.
Strange though, that my Virgin Media router had no problems at all.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

As a get you by, could you set your VM router up as wireless access point off the home hub? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I hadn't thought of that. I don't know how to set that up, but I am assuming I don't need the VM cable to be active? I lose that internet connection in a few days time.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I've given up trying to get the Epson Scan 2 utility to work with the Smart Hub. However, after investigating alternatives I find that several work perfectly. So I've settled on PaperScan 3 Free Edition which is ideal for my requirements.
So thank you to all who contributed to this thread.
0 Ratings