Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaycee56
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Smart Hub 2

I have recently renewed my contract with BT and now have a Smart Hub 2.  I didn't actually want or need to change from the HH6 but apparently it was part of the deal I had signed up to.  It necessitated a visit from an engineer and I thought all was well.  However, soon after everything pretty much had issues with connections; ipad, iphone and although the speeds looked good, the performance was very poor from browsers.  Hopefully, this was only a blip, but the problem I now have and can't seem to find a solution to, is my printer keeps dropping out and the scanner will not work at all.  I have disconnected, re-installed printer, re-set router and nothing seems to work.  It will print a test page but weirdly says it is not connected (!)  I don't know what to try next.  Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Smart Hub 2

turn off smart setup    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go back to using your original HH6, you do not have to use the new smart hub 2, unless you have the extra disc as well.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@jaycee56wrote:

I have recently renewed my contract with BT and now have a Smart Hub 2.  I didn't actually want or need to change from the HH6 but apparently it was part of the deal I had signed up to.  It necessitated a visit from an engineer and I thought all was well.  However, soon after everything pretty much had issues with connections; ipad, iphone and although the speeds looked good, the performance was very poor from browsers.  Hopefully, this was only a blip, but the problem I now have and can't seem to find a solution to, is my printer keeps dropping out and the scanner will not work at all.  I have disconnected, re-installed printer, re-set router and nothing seems to work.  It will print a test page but weirdly says it is not connected (!)  I don't know what to try next.  Can anyone help?

Hi @jaycee56   I increased the stability of my HP 7800 Connected to my SH2 by switching off 5 GHz on the printer so it only connects using 2.4 GHz. 

0 Ratings
jaycee56
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

I was wondering that but wasn't sure if I could.  I was happy with the previous one but was assured the Smart 2 was better and I now have Ultrafast Broadband plus (although I haven't really noticed any difference).  The engineer switched off my internet before he arrived and he put a new socket on the wall before re-connecting - so would the old hub work with that?  The saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' springs to mind!

0 Ratings
jaycee56
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Thanks - will give this a try as a last resort. Pretty fed up with having this problem ever since the 'upgrade' that doesn't feel like one!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

If you now have ultrafast, then your original HH6 will not work, so you cannot revert back to it, so you will have to find an alternative solution.

Unfortunately you cannot separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands on the new hub, and this can cause  wireless connection problems with some devices.

0 Ratings
jaycee56
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Is this easy to do? I'm not a complete idiot but anything too technical might prove difficult. My printer is HP MFP M28w and was working fine beforehand.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Did you turn off smart setup using the link?

Reset your printer then look in printer wifi settings then select new SSID then try and connect  you will then enter the new hub wifi password and it should connect to hub/internet 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

I think your printer only supports 2.4GHz anyway, so it should not be a problem. You will probably have to factory reset it first, the set it up again and search for the new home hub SSID, then enter the wireless password.

0 Ratings