cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikemun
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub 6 - Admin Panel ethernet only

Go to solution

Hi there, I am probably being a bit blind and hopefully so as I thought it would be an easy thing to do but how do I only allow access to the BT Smart Hub 6 Admin area (192.168.1.254) using a LAN connected device and disable any Wifi access?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub 6 - Admin Panel ethernet only

Go to solution

Short of turning off wifi altogether, you can't.

0 Ratings
mikemun
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Oh dear, shame as it's definitely a setting I'd prefer, oh well, thanks for saving me time on the hunt for it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I'm not sure its something you would be able to do even on a third party router.

I guess you could do it with a guest network and disallow access to devices on the LAN.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

If the object of restricting wireless access to the admin page is to prevent others making changes then would changing the password to something only you know not serve the purpose?

In any case, even if you restrict access to the routers settings via wireless a simple factory reset would obliterate the changes and allow free access with the default password again.  The same would apply no matter which make of router you used.

mikemun
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

All points true, probably looking more for a guest wifi setup which I know with some disappointment the Smart Hub doesn't have. And yes I have a password, hopefully it's a very strong one but it's also not ideal the admin area is accessible over http.

I'll admit to being far from even remotely an expert but worried that something like a man in the middle sniffing attack on the router admin is made much more straightforward for both the reason it's always accessible via wifi and the password could be sniffed as sent plaintext over http. I'd be happy to know that none of that is the case which it might be!

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

What you say about Wifi security certainly has it's merit.  Though an attacker would need to be in range of your network to accomplish that.  So the chances are slim you would be susceptible.  Not impossible but I expect highly unlikely.  If you have a half decent password the time taken to break it would put off casual attempts.  You are most unlikely to have a professional hacker sitting outside your home.  So no worries.

0 Ratings