cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Smart Hub, Brother network printer disconnected

Hi, my wired(ethernet to smart hub, static ip) network printer goes into sleep mode, then deep sleep, no choice. But even when it shows as ready, on the smart hub webpage it still shows as disconnected, and is greyed out. I can still print as soon as the printer shows 'ready' on it. Is this a Brother issue or Smart Hub one?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Smart Hub, Brother network printer disconnected

Is the static IP for the printer, outside of the home hubs DHCP range?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

@kkkk wrote:

Hi, my wired(ethernet to smart hub, static ip) network printer goes into sleep mode, then deep sleep, no choice. But even when it shows as ready, on the smart hub webpage it still shows as disconnected, and is greyed out. I can still print as soon as the printer shows 'ready' on it. Is this a Brother issue or Smart Hub one?

I don't believe it's a problem with either.

A router, the Hub in your case, has to maintain certain information about your clients. This is the client's MAC address and IP address.

This information is 'learned' and stored in a 'MAC table' and 'ARP table' within the Hub when it sees traffic from the client. After a period of inactivity this information is removed from the two tables. The reason it does this is that devices can move. For example a wired device may be moved from one physical port on the Hub to another, or a Wireless device may move from the 2.4 to 5 GHz Wifi radio. This is normal behaviour and is exactly how things should operate.

As soon as the client 'wakes up' and sends traffic, the Hub will once again populate its MAC and ARP tables, and connectivity is restored.

Regards

kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the replies. Its within range at number 7 of 254. Unfortunately it does not appear to wake up, it remains in deep sleep...

I've just tried printing having not touched it since yesterday and it did print(just to prove me wrong!!)

The printer now displays 'ready' in its display(will sleep after 45mins). But, on the BT 192.168.1.254 page the printer still shows as 'disconnected', and when i try to use the Brother netwrok tool, or try to update firmware, it can't find the printer.

The printer shows on my network on my laptop. So there is something somewhere that is not right.

0 Ratings