Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Smart Hub (HH 6) Type B

Openreach paid me a visit this morning as I'm having a few problems with YouView.

He noticed my HH6 Type A not plugged in and asked me why I wasn't using it.  I told him the problems I was having and he said many customers were having problems with it  He then said that there was now a Type B available.  He didn't have one so he couldn't swap my Type A.

Has anyone got a HH6 Type B?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES
kinetic747
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Smart Hub (HH 6) Type B

How do we differentiate between the two? 

Edit: Just taken a look at the back and it clearly states Type A on my replacement HH6 that I connected yesterday. I've had no issues up to now but having said that, my old one started out fine for a few weeks.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Go into advance settings and Technical Log and you will see under product name.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

You would be able to determine the type from the Information page of the hub via http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log.

To be honest I'm highly doubtful that there is a Home Hub 6B already. The difference between the Home Hub 5A and 5B was that BT used a different supplier for the 5B, and this was some years into the life of the Home Hub 5.

If there is a 6B already then clearly it's a far superior product as there's no mention of it on the forum.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@smf22 wrote:

If there is a 6B already then clearly it's a far superior product as there's no mention of it on the forum.

Regards

You mean it might actually work! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

What do you mean? The current model works wonderfully. Best Wifi ever is what I've read Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Could it be that the engineer was getting confused between the two Smarthubs that are already available. ie the FTTC Smarthub

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4774271/1466063890/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xN...

and the FTTP Smarthub

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4774269/1466063702/redirect/1/filename/BT%20Smart%20Hub...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

I agree with GG sounds more like an engineer confusion
0 Ratings
Bobbydbob
Message 9 of 13

Hi all, i think the difference between the Type A and Type B Smart hub  is to do with if you have fibre coming directly to your front door or not. I have it coming to my front door and was told by the BT help line this morning that i needed a Type B which has the Ethernet connection above port 4. I have tried two Type A's which have not worked. Hope this helps others before they buy unlike me.

0 Ratings
mjmcfadyen
Message 10 of 13

Hmmm...I have had months of problems with my Broadband and Homehub 6 ( Smart hub) - constant Internet drops - Tech Log says "VDSL: Link down"  2-10 times every day !!!. They sent me  A brand new replacement HH6 and it made no difference  - then they said there was a line fault.  A few days later the fault was closed by BT saying it was actually my wi fi at home causing the issue. Stange as my main PC and BT TV box are both wired connections. They couldnt seem to grasp that. I then escalated the complaint and they said they woud send me a replacement Homehub 6. I said I had one the previous week so she ( Nancy) said she would cancel it. Next day TWO replacemnt home hubs arrived. I compared them.... and discovered my originals were type A and the 2 new replacements were type B. So I plugged that in2 days ago - guess what ...... not a single drop since then !!!!!!! so I have hassled BT since May and wasted countless hours all due to the HH6 Type A - which clearly does not work on my connection. Grrrrrrrrr. THEY MUST KNOW THIS !

0 Ratings