Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Smart Hub (HH6) - IP cameras

Go to solution

I've been using a Billion router for years, in combination with a BT modem, but after I had 2 of the modems fail in short succession I decided to start using a Smart Hub. I immediately changed the Smart Hubs IP address to mirror that of my previous router (different subnet) as I have a lot of devices with fixed IP's. I also use port forwarding for several devices and services, including 4 x IP cams......and all previously worked fine with my Billion router. 

Anyway, at first I had trouble getting one of my IP cams to work with the Smart Hub, but eventually after several reboots I could connect to it. But I've noticed that although the cameras will work fine once they finally start working, after a reboot, 1 or 2 (and the same 1 or 2) often won't work. Sometimes I can keep rebooting and re-entering port forwarding rules (even though they are already correct) and can eventually get them to come back online...but this takes ages and they come back seemingly just by chance....basically, its a real pain and I can't put up with this hassle much longer.

Is there anything I should try before buying myself a Netgear or Asus modem/router....which from what I've read generally tend to perform more reliably?  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Smart Hub (HH6) - IP cameras

Go to solution

@yabadaba

Make sure the cameras are configured manually with static IP addresses, outside of the DHCP range. Then port forward to each camera`s IP address.

Its the home hub DHCP server which is the problem, it does not work properly.

Make sure uPnP is disabled, as that can cause problems.

0 Ratings
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Keith thanks for the reply.

I already have all my cameras and several other devices configured with static IP addresses and all are above the Smart Hub's DHCP range (which I changed along with the IP address). I did just try disabling uPnP and then disconnected and reconnected the 1 camera that is refusing to 'play ball' (the other finally reappeared), but to no avail. When I run Windows Network Diagnostics through IE it tells me me that the device at that IP address is not set up to accept connections on the port I have it using.....so seems like a port forwarding issue.  

Is it worth trying a factory reset now that I have disabled uPnP? I'd prefer not to unless there's a very good chance it will work as I'll have to go through all the IP address reconfigurationa and port forwarding rule entering again.....unless loading my backup config file will restore the settings I had without also restoring any issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The home hubs get quite confused at times, so a factory reset is a good ides, followed by disabling uPnP and also smart setup.

Restoring setting from a backup may not help, as if the user config file is corrupted, you will reload the corrupted file back again.

I have used IP cameras on a remote HH6 that I manage, and not encountered any issues. I used the home hub 6 default subnet.

0 Ratings
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Okay I'll give it a go. Strangely I only have this problem with 2 of my 4 IP cameras, but I know they can work and then they will work without a hitch until a reboot and they worked perfectly when I used the old Billion router.....so it must be something to do with the Smart Hub (as you have confirmed), but a bit weird how it's not all port forwarded devices that are affected.

0 Ratings
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, I tried a factory reset (and then turning off UPnP and Smart Setup) and got everything except the one IP camera working....so same as before.

So, I replaced the HH6 with a HH5 that I also have (but only used for  afew days between my Billion going and my HH6 being delivered) and, surprisingly, everything worked straight away...even with UPnP turned on!!

I like the fact that I can see more info in the Status page of my HH6 and I find the wifi signal generally better, but on the other hand it takes ages to restart, the UI is slow and I have the issue with the IP cam, so I'll stick with the HH5 for now. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, the HH6 does seem to take ages to start up. I noticed this on the one that I remote monitor, when there is a power cut or restart.

Its installed at my daughter`s house, and monitored via RDP using an old netbook. There are a few ports forwarded, but I have not seen any issues.

0 Ratings