Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 59

Re: Smart Hub (HH6) USB port Problem

@smf22 wrote:
And possibly someone at is BT is having a laugh as this should be removed before "the product" hits the street.

Bugs should be removed as well, but they don't seem to bother with that either! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 59

This sort of things just shows the lack of QA. Perhaps if BT tried a little harder with that they might get some of the bugs as well!! We can but live in hope Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
bluesmanuk
Message 23 of 59

Well I shall have a chance to put the thing though it's paces tomorrow.

It makesmewonder whether there is a manual firmware update available that may have resolved som issues?

The Hub specs look great and with what looks like a well thought out design and whoever designed the packaging and specced up the box contents should be awarded a medal because they have thought things through well.

The only physical element that should have been changed was the USB port. Should be 3.0 in this age.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 59

No manual firmware update; you have to wait for BT to download it to your hub. Oh and then of course you have no idea what's been changed. There are no release notes.

As for USB 3... maybe, but if you really want a shared disk on your home network with good performance then get a NAS. It's faster, more reliable, has RAID and isn't as expensive as it at first seems.

Regards
0 Ratings
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 59

My drive shows as \\api\Elements, elements being my hard drive.

When i put this in my browser it becomes file://///api/Elements/ and i can access the files no problem.

I would like to contine to use the built in windows history backup.

I've followed the info on page 2 by smf22, will see if it is ok and doesn't disappear.

0 Ratings
chyaweth
Beginner
Message 26 of 59

Just for info, I've been struggling for the last half hour trying to get my NAS to recognise the usb drive on my bthub6.

Finally got there with \\192.168.1.254\Central Storage. "Central Storage" is the name I gave the usb drive.

(192.168.1.254 is obviously the hub's ip)

Peversely, mapping the drive in Win10 I have to use \\api\Central Storage.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 59

I'd be interested to see how long it lasts. With both the 21D0 and 21EC firmware I could no longer access the USB drive after approximately a week. The error was resource exhaustion so looks like a memory leak on the hub as it came back after a boot of the hub.
0 Ratings
TomFalc
Message 28 of 59

I've discovered through trial and error that a drive formatted using ext4 works on the BT Hub 6. The path to access it it is /api/(drive_name). For example if you've named the drive backup1, the URI is //api/backup1.

I can access all 5TB of the drive on the laptops and tablets in the house.

I have access to Linux so formatting a drive in this filesystem is easy, but I don't know how you would do that with Windows.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
Riders7
Beginner
Message 29 of 59

Tom

Excellent it works - then I have mapped the USB on each PC on my Network as SmartHub USB

Formatted USB stick as ext4 using MiniTool Partition 9 Free Edition

Got a BT Engineer coming on Monday 24th to check line as have had a few drop out connections. So will tell him about the issues. My previous Hub5 had no issue and showed the USB via viewing the Network on all pc's around the house.

Richard

0 Ratings
Riders7
Beginner
Message 30 of 59

Update - actually FAT32 is fine though NTFS wont work
0 Ratings