cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thecrow
Message 51 of 59

Re: Smart Hub (HH6) USB port Problem

I came here looking for the answer as to why this does not work for me but discovered the answer myself so I am sharing for others.

It appears that the Smart Hub 6 uses SMBv1 to share the USB drive which is an obsolete and unsafe protocol.
In modern versions of Windows this is diabled to prevent the spread of certain ransomwares.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-smb1-windows

If you re-enable SMB1 in Windows Features then the USB drive becomes accessable but you expose yourself to attack from ransomware and viruses.

Until BT upgrade to SMB2 or 3 this is a unusable feature.

0 Ratings
thecrow
Message 52 of 59

It appears the BT Hub 6 is using SMBv1 which is an obsolete and unsafe protocol which is disabled in modern versions of Windows.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-smb1-windows

If you re-enable it in Windows Features the USB drive becomes accessable but you expose yourself to ransomeware and viruses so it is effectively an unusable feature until BT upgrade the Hub to use SMB2 or SMB3.

antikyte
Message 53 of 59

@thecrow

Thanks for the tip about Home Hub using Samba.

For anyone like me, who is using Linux ( Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in my case), you can open the share from Nautilus ( Unity file manager) by doing the following :

Open Nautilus and select Connect to Server

In the server address type :

smb://bthub.home/

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 54 of 59

@thecrow    

Considering that the USB port is on your LAN behind the firewall I fail to see the issue.  If you have got either ransom ware or viruses on your devices on the LAN it's already too late to worry about an outdated security feature on the USB port.

The Hubs are fairly secure on the Internet side.

0 Ratings
mike8
Contributor
Message 55 of 59

Unfortunately this should be disabled, which is how Wanacry crypto malware infected windows computers. Although this is fixed by March 2017 microsoft update, still better belt and braces to keep smb1 disabled in windows setup. Hope BT update their firmware sometime soon. I access my usb hub by mapping it as drive Z: in my computer rather than my network. Seems to work OK but not ideal if you want to use it as a fully networked drive.

0 Ratings
gregc1
Message 56 of 59

Hi all, 

I'm having the same problems trying to map an external drive connected to the usb port in my SmartHub6.

I am using a mac and I have been able to get to read the files (eventually) I cant seem to use the drive to add files etc. i am only connected as a guest and cant work out what the user name and password would be for the home hub to coonect as an "authorised user"

Can anyone help?

Thanks

0 Ratings
The_Mole_UK
Beginner
Message 57 of 59

This is my Windows 10 solution... 

Right-click on the desktop/new/shortcut

Paste: C:\Windows\System32\OptionalFeatures.exe

Name: Windows 10 - Optional Features

Right-Click/Properties/Comment: Use to switch on/off the 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Client'.

---

Run this link...

Find SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.

Click the + to expand

Check 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Client' and reboot.   You don't want to serve it...

---

To reverse, click the link again!

---

This is only needed for Windows 10 because of security reasons.  I don't need the USB all the time as I have a NAS using SMB 2 and NFS.  My Raspberry Pi and Kodi, sees SMB: without the above tweak, presumably as Kodi supports SMB 1 for that purpose.  So the port works fine with Kodi.

0 Ratings
duberry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 59

How about the mac? Got Mavericks but don’t mind upgrading but think I can only go to el captin. Tje firmware of the smart hub is the 1st June 2019. 

My TC broke last year and rather than plug the drive directly in the mac would like to plug it in the smart hub. Even though the router reports the drive as there you cannot access it from the mac desktop. The old TC used to be visible too even though that was a wireless hard drive in itself. 

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
mike8
Contributor
Message 59 of 59

I am having the same problem with Windows 10 ver 1903. HH6 is connected to the hub and is shown as connected in the HH6 graphical interface. Attached usb drive is Hitachi 2Tb formatted in FAT32. I have allowed smb1 etc in windows settings. I cannot access the files and they do not appear in the network. If I use run command and type

http://192.168.1.1\\usb_hub or just usb or usb1 I just get the hh6 interface. (My hub is set to 192.168.1.1 and not .254

If I just plug the drive into a usb socket on the PC then I can access the files but I thought it cool to use the hh6 to network it.

0 Ratings