cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Uppy
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Smart Hub (HH6) with Sonos

Is anyone else experiencing problems using Sonos with the new Smart Hub? I have been using Sonos with a HH5 for several years without any issues. I have a Sonos Bridge wired directly into the router, and other Sonos components that then connect to the bridge using sonosnet (ie not using the HH wifi). Controlled using iPhone or iPad, which connect to the HH via wifi.

I installed Smart Hub recently and all seemed fine, but then after a period of inactivity in using Sonos (for instance overnight), none of the controllers was able to access the Sonos system. The only way to bring it back to life was to restart the router. After reading various Sonos forums I was suspecting the Bridge itself or its power supply might be failing, so I replaced it by wiring another Sonos component directly to the HH6, but still got the same issues.

I've now reverted back to the HH5, and it is all working OK again, so I'm pretty sure it is something to do with the smart hub.

Has anyone had success with Sonos and HH6 in a wired bridge configuration?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
BarryM
Beginner
Message 2 of 23

Re: Smart Hub (HH6) with Sonos

I've got a ZP100 connected wired and then using the sonosnet etc like you.  Don't have any issues on either the HH5 or the new HH6.  Not sure if this helps at all.  Are there any updates to the Bridge software?

Do you still need the Bridge?  I seem to remember something like this

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/the-bridge-is-over-sonos-adds-simpler-wi-fi-setup-to-all-its-speakers/

where Sonos did an update to negate the need for one.

0 Ratings
Uppy
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Thanks for that. Useful to know that It should be possible to use with Sonos. Bridge software is all up to date. I also need the bridge and to use Sonosnet as the wifi setup won't reach throughout the house (even with the supposed increase range of the HH6). May reset the HH6 back to factory settings and try again. @BarryM have you configured your Smart hub in any way, or is it setup straight out of the box?
0 Ratings
BarryM
Beginner
Message 4 of 23

no, didn't need to do anything on the HH6 for Sonos.  I do wonder though if Sonos have dropped any update support for the Bridge now they have a wireless solution?

I'll double check the HH6 when I have it back on my system.  Have problems with it and big uploads at the moment so back to HH5

I'm assuming you have the bridge connected wired to the Hub?  Have you tried another product in place of the Bridge?

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/blog/faqs/do-i-need-a-sonos-bridge-or-boost.php

Can you connect another product wired to see if that works and can then prove that it's a Bridge issue (or not)?

0 Ratings
Uppy
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

I did initially suspect the bridge, so replaced it with a play5 directly wired to the hub, but got the same result. I think Sonos still fully support bridge & boost, as these are still a requirement for some setups. I still think the most likely cause is flakey firmware I the HH6 - There are a number of issues being reported with it - looks like BT is using its customers as beta testers. Perhaps I need to wait for the next firmware update when it might become a bit more stable.
0 Ratings
BarryM
Beginner
Message 6 of 23

Yeah certainly sounds like the Hub at fault. Did you try a reset of it and the smart setup off? I can't remember with mine but it's working ok for the Sonos.
0 Ratings
MrVague-uk
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

I had this exact problem, with iPhone and iPad working one minute, then for no reason losing connection. Was driving me potty... finally solved it this afternoon.

The solution was to connect the Sonos system via wifi as opposed to other Ethernet. It has been totally flawless ever since, and noticeably faster to make connection.

To do this, go to controller app (I used desktop client), settings, and wifi. Select your wifi network and enter password - it will confirm when connected. Now disconnect your Ethernet cable from your Sonos (or all Sonos speakers if you have multiple cabled in). I had to then restart all speakers (power disconnect) and the router to get them all to reset and connect.

You should now be able to open to Sonos app and see all speakers.

It has been FLAWLESS ever since I made this change, on two iPhones and an iPad.

Best of luck! 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Uppy
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Good to know it works in a wifi configuration, and very interesting that it connects to controllers in this way much quicker. I may give this a try, but ultimately I will still need a wired / bridge solution as my wifi does not reach all rooms with Sonos units (even with the potential extended range of the Smart Hub), whereas Sonosnet can reach the parts wifi can't by using its own mesh network between components.
0 Ratings
MrVague-uk
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

Hi,

Update on this - I now have it working fully, with wired connection for sonos and SonosNet. Now up and stable for over 24 hrs.

What I did:

• Factory reset the hub, from within the setting menu.
  • Kept 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks on the same SSID (previously had them seperated).
  • All devices on DHCP, with no static IPs manually allocated (had previously)
  • Wireless on SonosNet set to channel 1, wireless on HH 2.4ghz set to channel 11 (so not to interfere with SonosNet) and 5ghz on channel 44 (so not to interfere with SkyQ on channel 36).
  • Wifi extender disconnected for now... will check it stays stable for a few days, then reintroduce and see if it makes a difference.
  • Sonos hardwired to one component (my Sub), with all other speakers connected over SonosNet (about 7 others).
  • In Sonos settings, go to wireless settings, clicked 'reset' which removed all wifi settings from all speakers to ensure SonosNet was their only option.

All working like a charm now. It has never worked for me from day one of the Smart Hub, so pretty hopeful this means it is all solved. 

Best of luck! Let me know if this solves it for you 🙂

Uppy
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

So it sounds as if you are using a completely factory reset configuration, with the only change from factory settings being  the 2.4ghz channel set to 11. Is that correct?  Did you change the default SSID and password, or just use the ones that come as default on the HH?

Thanks

0 Ratings