cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrVague-uk
Beginner
Message 11 of 23

Re: Smart Hub (HH6) with Sonos

Correct. Only change being 2.4ghz to channel 11 and 5ghz to channel 44. I have also then changed sonosnet to be channel 1, to ensure there is no conflict.

Have left the SSID and password to be original for the smart hub.

Been 36hrs now, just tested again and all working perfectly.
0 Ratings
MrRockliffe
Message 12 of 23

Hi,

I came across this topic while trying to find info about getting my Chromecast audio to work with the HH6. I have the exact same problem it seems. The first song plays, however once it's over or after a period of time I lose the ability to change the song or play/pause. Volume works fine. For me, I have to disconnect the Chromecast and connect it again.

I've tried:

Splitting the bands, changing the wireless mode, static IP etc

Have you managed to get it working? I spoke to BT about this over the phone and as usual they weren't helpful (which is fair enough as the router is new).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Uppy
Contributor
Message 13 of 23

My ultimate solution was to ditch the Smart Hub 6, and replace it with a TP-Link modem router.  This works like a dream with Sonos without any issues, has connected to BT broadband at a higher sync speed, the wifi is much stronger than the BT Hub, it has a separate guest network, it doesn't have BT Wifi and BT-FON constantly broadcasting, the firmware works, and the user interface is much faster and more intuitive.  So a major improvement over the BT Smart Hub hardware - I'd now recommend anyone to ditch buggy Smart Hub and get a 3rd party alternative.

0 Ratings
masterchord
Message 14 of 23

I have been having constant issues with my Sonos system since I recieved the Home Hub 6. The issue seems to be that the HH is assigning the same IP address to multiple devices, in the case of Sonos it causes the room to disappear from the room list in the SONOS app. I can see that the same issue is also affecting other devices on the network, but it doesn't have the same impact as with SONOS.

I tried to dpeak with BT but after an hour of holding (they didn't call back as promised using the callback method) I raised a complaint, the response to which was to register with BT Tech Experts (a paid for service)

Having rejected this as a viable option, I was then told to turn the hub on and off again and when I explained again that this is a firmware issue, they offered to send a new hub which also would not address the issue.

I have lost the will with BT support - all I am after is confirmation that there is a DCHP issue with the HH6 firmware - I can see that the same IP is being assigned - I also tried assigning a static IP through the HH6 UI but after 24 hrs it ditches the assigned IP and goes back to assigning a duplicate.

Eventually I rang to cancel the service as the hub does not perform as advertised, on this occasion I was put through to the technical team in the hope that they could send me a HH5. I could barely hear the guy over the crackle on his line, he then cut me off and tried to call back twice - neither time was I able to hear him. It seems that the technical team need to fix their phones first. So no progress here either.

Is anyone else seeing the same issue of identical IP addresses on multiple devices as in the image below (note that the fact that the device shows as a static IP seems to be irrelevant - it shows DCHP when you click through to it and the IP is not what was assigned in my previous experiment to se the address anyway):

BT Home Hub 6 IP duplication 2.JPG

Firmware was updated 26th October to this version:

Firmware version.JPG

I don't see why I should purchase a new router to address an issue that seems to me to be entirely a fault of the router provided by BT (my previous Sky router worked fine). How can I get some traction with BT and a solution which doesn't involve me forking out more money!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 23

Can you manually set the IP address on the Sonos?

0 Ratings
tree31
Message 16 of 23

This is definitely a DHCP Server error with the HH6 that I was hoping that the new SG4B10002236 update would fix (My hub hasn't updated itself yet).

The problem only seems to occur if you have Sonos set up with a Playbar working as a home cinema system with a Sub and Surround speakers.

I have got round the problem by disabling the DHCP server on the HH6, dusting off an old PC and running BlaSoft's DHCP server software. It's a piece of cake to get going - just assign a static IP to the machine you're running it on and fill in the details for the DHCP Server.

If it helps, I used (for the static IP)

IP Address 192.168.1.2

NetMask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers 192.168.1.254 & 8.8.8.8

For the DHCP Server:

Range 192.168.1.63 - 192.168.1.253

NetMask 255.255.255.0

Router 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers 192.168.1.254 & 8.8.8.8

The software is freeware, and is running like a charm. Once the above options have been specified, just Click on "Start DHCP Server"

To ensure the PC doesn't restart itsef, I have completely disabled the Windows Update Service.

I realise this may not be practical for everyone, and that people may not have a PC that can leave running permanently, but I can tell you that the above solution works flawlessly with every client getting an IP address, nothing disconnecting and Sonos working perfectly (3 rooms plus the Surround set up).

The above alone (in my opinion at least) cleary demonstrates that the problem lies with the implentation of the DHCP Server on the HH6.

0 Ratings
Martingchapman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 23

@Uppy wrote:

My ultimate solution was to ditch the Smart Hub 6, and replace it with a TP-Link modem router.  This works like a dream with Sonos without any issues, has connected to BT broadband at a higher sync speed, the wifi is much stronger than the BT Hub, it has a separate guest network, it doesn't have BT Wifi and BT-FON constantly broadcasting, the firmware works, and the user interface is much faster and more intuitive.  So a major improvement over the BT Smart Hub hardware - I'd now recommend anyone to ditch buggy Smart Hub and get a 3rd party alternative.

Which model of TP-Link Modem Router did you buy?

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 23

If it helps I use a TP-Link Archer VR900 and amongst the many things connected wirelessly to it is a Sonos5. There are several other models from both TP-Link and others that are compatible with BT's services.

0 Ratings
julesandsand
Contributor
Message 19 of 23

My Sonos system (6 mixed components, no Playbar) worked perfectly until I came to apply the latest update which continually failed causing all my components to 'disappear' with the exception of a Play 5.

Because of all the disconnect problems with the SH - detailed in other threads, I gave up and went back to my Netgear D7800. Having had no disconnects or DNS issues for a week I decided to brave the Sonos update again - it worked perfectly.

The Smarthub is a nice looking piece of kit but both of mine aren't fit for purpose. I had no problems whatsoever with the HH5.

0 Ratings
kevthebass
Beginner
Message 20 of 23

I got the new HH6 about a month ago. It worked for about a week, then started saying it had DNS problems. This meant that none of my devices could connect to the internet. I got round this by manually setting the DNS to google 8.8.8.8 on all devices. This now allows me to connect to the net, although its a bit farcical that its not using BTs own DNS.

The problem I now face with the Sonos system in my house (which has worked perfectly for 7/8 years or so) is that I can access my music library and play music, but I cannot update the system or add more music via a library update.

BT have been utterly useless - They sent me another hub, which does exactly the same, despite 4/5 1 hour calls to a series of random staff who are reading off a script. 

Sonos tech support, usually so reliable, simply state that they are not compatibile with HH6 and I should get another router.

It appears to be the previously identified problem (user masterchord) of the HH assigning the same IP address to different bits of kit. therefore it is a bug with the hub and should be addressed via an urgent firmware update.

0 Ratings