Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
johnson65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Smart Hub WiFi and turning off 2.4GHz

Go to solution

Yesterday I was delighted to get on BT Infinity 1 and as with my old Home Hub 4, turned the 2.4 GHz off to avoid it interfering with my old analogue 2.4 GHz video sender (this lets me play with Sky from bedroom). 

Although my own access to the Smart Hub stops on 2.4 GHz, a casual check with my smart phone showed that unlike the Hub4, deactivating the Smart Hub's 2.4 GHz WiFi does NOT stop it being available for BT FON.  I don't wish to opt out of FON but I am irked that I am not able to control the new hub as well as the old Hub4.  I am quite happy to allow access on 5GHz as it is only the video sender interference that I wish to avoid. 

I guess the answer will be a 3rd party VDSL router. Is there a training period with VDSL?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Smart Hub WiFi and turning off 2.4GHz

Go to solution

@johnson65 wrote:

I guess the answer will be a 3rd party VDSL router. Is there a training period with VDSL?

No, it should operate at full speed right away. However if there is a line fault, or constant rebooting or disconnections, then DLM will reduce the connection speed in an attempt to make the line stable.

If this happens, it can take a very long time for the speed to recover.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

@johnson65 wrote:

Yesterday I was delighted to get on BT Infinity 1 and as with my old Home Hub 4, turned the 2.4 GHz off to avoid it interfering with my old analogue 2.4 GHz video sender (this lets me play with Sky from bedroom). 

Although my own access to the Smart Hub stops on 2.4 GHz, a casual check with my smart phone showed that unlike the Hub4, deactivating the Smart Hub's 2.4 GHz WiFi does NOT stop it being available for BT FON.  I don't wish to opt out of FON but I am irked that I am not able to control the new hub as well as the old Hub4.  I am quite happy to allow access on 5GHz as it is only the video sender interference that I wish to avoid. 

If your concern is only that of the AV sender 2.4GHz frequency, then you could consider using a 5.8GHz sender.

These usually have a choice of 3 channels, so you should be able to separate them, for AV sender and Hub, remembering that 5GHz channels are widely separated.

However, the physical location of the transmitter unit is critical, and to a lesser extent the receiver. You have to align the dishes exactly.

Transmission range may be the main problem, and the reception is sometimes affected not only by physical objects but also reflections from objects:- open doors, poeple moving around, etc. This is usually do to poor alignment

Expensive it it doesn't work! So third party router may be your solution.

johnson65
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs wrote:

If your concern is only that of the AV sender 2.4GHz frequency, then you could consider using a 5.8GHz sender.

These usually have a choice of 3 channels, so you should be able to separate them, for AV sender and Hub, remembering that 5GHz channels are widely separated.

However, the physical location of the transmitter unit is critical, and to a lesser extent the receiver. You have to align the dishes exactly.

Transmission range may be the main problem, and the reception is sometimes affected not only by physical objects but also reflections from objects:- open doors, poeple moving around, etc. This is usually do to poor alignment

Expensive it it doesn't work! So third party router may be your solution.

A 5GHZ video sender might work but I have already found the 2.4GHz sender is tricksy enough to get in the right spot.  My guess is tht a 5GHz sender would be even worse at bouncing a signal around my bungalow and is likely to be an expensive door-stop.  While 

0 Ratings