cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ytinifni
Message 1 of 5

Smart Hub as modem and AP or as a WiFi bridge

Go to solution

In a few days' time I will receive a Smart Hub as a result of signing up for Infinity2.  I prefer to continue using my highly configured ASUS RT-N66U as my router so the only usage I have for the Smart Hub is either as a modem and secondary AP in the hallway if I can get this to work (i.e.with DHCP and access control coming via gigabit Ethernet from the ASUS) or as wireless bridge in an upstairs office - in which case I will use it for this and buy a modem from a well known auction site ready for the day my service begins.  

Note that by wireless bridge I don't mean a range extender fed by powerline adapters, I mean a range extender fed by primary WiFi signal from the ASUS.  Halving the throughput is fine as the only reason for doing it is to clear the Faraday cage that is a large conservatory and reach an internet radio at the end of the garden.  Yes it has power but again I do not want to use powerline adaptors.

Will either of these options work please or do I need to go ahead and buy the modem anyway and use the Smart Hub as a paperweight?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Smart Hub as modem and AP or as a WiFi bridge

Go to solution

Unfortunately, you will be unable to do either. The HUB6 doesn't have a modem only mode nor can it be used as a wireless repeater. It can only be used as a wireless AP when connected via Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Ytinifni
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Now I know.  Paperweight it is! 🙂

Thank you for your fast and concise reply, licquorice

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5